genesis problem

Started by red5standingby, September 23, 2009, 03:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red5standingby

hello i have a sega genesis model 1 and i have a problem with it. i put in a game and turn on the system. but only the begining credits start and then it goes black and thats it. i have clean the contacts on the game and the connector on the genesis but it still does the same thing. and i have tryed my other games and they do the same thing and there is no sound. could someone please help me  thank you

l_oliveira

You mean it shows "Produced by or under license from SEGA Enterprises" and then hangs on a black screen ?

red5standingby

yes it does...total black screen...i don't know if something is going out. but i was thinking of getting some freeze spray and troubleshooting the motherboard. but if you have any ideas i'll be glad to hear them

l_oliveira

Well ... That sounds like some address line on the motherboard is not going to the cartridge connector.  The cartridge slot sometimes allow dust or  grease (from the player's hand on the cartridge) to drop on the legs of the "BUS arbiter" chip  (the 160 pin ASIC which is close to the  cartridge connector) causing corrosion of the copper tracks.

Easy fix if you know what you're doing.

Edit: Mistyped the word "slot" as slow and did not notice. Fixed.

red5standingby

well i did find a little dust near the chip but cleaned that off. but now i turn the system on and it passes the license screen and the Sega logo comes up and then it stalls at the Sega logo so i turn the system off and wait a little bit and turn it back on and again it passes the license screen and goes to the Sega logo and sometimes it hangs there. or sometimes when i turn it off, wait and turn it back on i get the sega logo but then the graphics goes to garbage and hangs. any ideas??

l_oliveira

The copper track requires repair (soldering).
Basically you re-place the missing portion of the damaged copper track with a piece of wire and solder.

viletim

The cartridge slot may be faulty, that's what happend to my original Mega Drive.

red5standingby

well i got the game to semi working but there are still a few glitches in the graphics but there is still no sound. any ideas? anybody?

Game-Tech.us

Quote from: red5standingby on September 30, 2009, 01:51:57 PM
well i got the game to semi working but there are still a few glitches in the graphics but there is still no sound. any ideas? anybody?
If you let it warm up for a while and keep rebooting it and it starts working better and better then some caps have leaked out and need replaced.
I have a few different systems that need caps and thats how I knew.
Anyone know where the best forum is for genesis console repairs? Maybe they have a good thread about cap replacement etc.

l_oliveira

There isn't much one need to know about capacitors replacement. Once they're gone bad, you take them all out and put new ones on their place.
Need to have good skill with soldering iron, the right soldering iron for the job and a mean to remove the old solder being it either an solder sucker tool or de-soldering braid/wick.