All new PC Engine RGB mod page

Started by NFG, October 09, 2004, 02:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

Finally updated GameSX.com, have a look.

I think this page is MILES better than the old one.

Moosmann

The only one asks, which transistor type used in this circuit ? :)

Bye Markus

NFG

heh, yeah I noticed that was missing.  I'll dig it up and update the page today.

Endymion

Hm, composite sync on pin 44--is this composite video where the sync needs to be stripped, or straight sync? If it's straight sync, where's the video pin? (Not that I'd pull it from the chip if I needed it, just an enquiring mind.)

NFG

As far as I know the video is processed after it comes out of the chip, so there's no reason to know this when you can tap it off the back expansion connector.  

Martin

I am the Master of my Zipstick :P  :blink:  Err.. I mean

nice page :D

I like the visual style you've started giving the new-er mod pages. It rocks ^_^
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

D-Lite

So what transistor did you use in the new amp?

fragment

Segasonicfan

What transistor is used for the new amp ( i know same question).  Is it just any old NPN Transistor?  I tried that with the entire amp setup and didn't get a good picture...it's quite a pain making that amp but I really would like to get decent RGB out of my N64... :/

_Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Sorry, I'm in Canada for another week.  I'll dig up the data when I get back.

Hey, since ur back maybe you can tell me what transistor is used for the amp?  I'd love to know.  Hope you had a good vacation =)

-Segasonicfan

NFG

Thanks!! :)  No wonder  miy mod didn't work...lol

-Segasonicfan

duo_r

If I get a good picture without using the amp, is there a risk to the hu6260 for not using a transistor? Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I read a post somehwere that there is a risk for not using amp for the chip (and if that is the case then I will build an amp). Also, is the amp necessary for a Jrok 4.1?

NFG

I have tapped the chip directly for RGB without any trouble at all, though I never checked to see if the chip was getting hot or anything.  IMO you're going to be fine to run it this way, if you're satisfied with the image quality.

duo_r

Took another look, I see a faint pattern (vertical lines) in the screen. Would this be an amp issue or should I use a LM1881 chip to strip the sync? Picture looks good, but you can mainly notice when the screen is scrolling horizontally.

Quote from: Lawrence on September 02, 2008, 07:51:01 AM
I have tapped the chip directly for RGB without any trouble at all, though I never checked to see if the chip was getting hot or anything.  IMO you're going to be fine to run it this way, if you're satisfied with the image quality.

acem77

Quote from: duo_r on September 02, 2008, 09:19:16 AM
Took another look, I see a faint pattern (vertical lines) in the screen. Would this be an amp issue or should I use a LM1881 chip to strip the sync? Picture looks good, but you can mainly notice when the screen is scrolling horizontally.

Quote from: Lawrence on September 02, 2008, 07:51:01 AM

I have seen the same vertical lines/bars with a few systems that i have hooked up with rgb.
I never did figure it out it is slightly annoying.
I think it some thing on the main pcb and the way the traces run.
From what I remember the amp does not add the vertical bars.
If you look real close when using composite video you will see the same patterns
The RGB mod makes it more obvious.

duo_r

Lawrence - can you tell me what is the recommended wire (gauge) to use for RGB mods like tapping into the HU6260 (very small pins). The solid core wire I normally use was too thick for that chip so I used a cheaper (and lower quality) wire to tap my RGB. I am beginning to think that I need to get a different wire.

Is there also recommendations for shielding the wire to block video interference? Maybe that has something to do with it...

I have seen the same vertical lines/bars with a few systems that i have hooked up with rgb.
I never did figure it out it is slightly annoying.
I think it some thing on the main pcb and the way the traces run.
From what I remember the amp does not add the vertical bars.
If you look real close when using composite video you will see the same patterns
The RGB mod makes it more obvious.