PSone LCD RGB

Started by fragment, June 10, 2004, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragment

Ok, so I found a good deal on a official PSone LCD screen at a local store for only $39.99 used. I opened up the sucker and after some work got the connector to plug directly to a PS2 via the AV outlet on the back of the console. I got a picture, but it has a green tint. Now I figured that most of the AV pinouts would be the same as the PS1, but now I am guessing that the sync line is on the green, and I need to change that to a composite line. I am going to build  a cable that correctly inputs the lines from the PS2 to the psone lcd screen. I also intend to make inputs for other systems as well like Dreamcast and Saturn. What may help me is a PS2 AV diagram so I can compare it to the PS1 AV diagram on this website. Anything else I need to know about?

also, does this post have the information I need? Right now is it passing sync on pin 6 instead of pin 5?

ATARI LABS PSONE LCD RGB discussion <---CLICKY

fragment

nevermind, i figured it out. I didn't enable RGB in the system menu. My bad! picture looks great!

benzaldehyde

YES! CIRCUIT CITY COMES THROUGH AGAIN!

Why not make a universal setup, like Lawrence's DB9 wiring scheme? Or, if you use this, a SCART pinout scheme. Then, you wouldn't need plugs for every system. :)

NFG

If anyone's got a line on cheap official PSOne screens please let me know, they're over a hundred bucks in Japan and I don't want one quite that bad.

fragment

actually I got it used at EB (talked down the price), didn't have any at Circuit City. Yeah, I am planning on doing a universal setup, but wiring it also to accept VGA. That's right, these guys found out how to input VGA to this sucker, not that I can figure WHY I would do that yet.

VGA to PS1 LCD <----CLICKY

Anderson21

Hi
Would really be interested knowing if you manage to get anything else working on the screen, have tried to get my saturn and my pc engine working.
So far i've got a picture but have a sync problem. Read elsewhere that 3rd party screens are composite and not RGB. i have a thrustmater screen and i only get a picture with RGB. Still trying things when i get time so let us know if you do.

NFG

That mod page doesn't input VGA to the screen, it makes a VGA-style connector adaptor and tells you how to force your VGA card to output low-res.  That's a solution most everyone could have figured out a decade ago, using PowerStrip + the pinouts on gamesx.com.

fragment

well, hooked up the LCD to the PS2 via a custom RGB cable tonight. Picture looks amazing! I will try other systems later.

fragment

ok, next step is to pull power from the PS2 power board to power the PS1 LCD. Does anyone know if this is possible? I need 7.2v for the PS1 LCD. If someone could tell me the specs of the PS2 power board, I could probably figure it out from there. Thanks!

atom

Your gonna get yelled at. Poke around on that pcb, its probably even labeled! Just find a lead by the power supply for the nearest voltage to what you need and tap that baby.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

fragment

QuoteYour gonna get yelled at. Poke around on that pcb, its probably even labeled! Just find a lead by the power supply for the nearest voltage to what you need and tap that baby.
well all I am asking if someone knows the specs on the board, but not asking for help on exactly how to do it. I just want to be careful being that messing with a power board is more serious than messing with AV pinouts because of the voltage involved. I think the PS2 converts to higher than 7.2 Volts, but I will check under the hood to see.

fragment

wanted to post a picture of my PS1 LCD self standing monitor. Recognize the plastic that I used?

fragment

and another image......

gannon

Yeah, ps2's power supply is 12V, but with the 7805 in the screen there shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you want to get better brightness and don't mind losing a little contrast just jump the smt chip in this picture.

Thanks to Ben Heckendorn for this one.
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

fragment

I talked to Ben and he showed me a regulator on the PS2 board where I can pull 7.8 volts! Let me know if you guys want me to show the photo he sent me. Can't wait to get this completed. I was thinking, would it be best to make a plug similiar to the one on the back of a PS1 LCD (the yellow plug) and put that on the back of the PS2, and then just have a cable that links them up? I didn't want any wires hanging off the back.

gannon

Yeah, if you could post it that would be nice, but how many amps can you get from that spot? If it's enough to run a ps1 lcd then I have a feeling my projects can advance quite a bit.

fragment

Ok, he said on the red dot you can pull 7.8volts. He didn't indicate how many amps it has, but said it should be enough to power a PS1 LCD (which sucks 1 amp). However, he said that this has only been tested on a PS1 LCD that has the bulb modification, so I am not sure it is going to work yet. I did some browsing ant it looks like the specs match up:

Vout: +8 V * Vin: +10.5 V min, +35 V max * Iout: 1 A

I looked at my PS2 board (V5) and I had a regulator in the exact location and it was marked 7808. After looking at the specs on the 7808, this seams to be the ticket to powering up a PS1 LCD!

fragment

well success! I hooked up to the 7808 regulator, ran the wires to the back of the PS2 through a small hole on the back of the PS2, and tested it with a multimeter. Got a consistent reading of 8V. I connected the wires to a plug that fits the PS1 Screen, made sure I had the polarity correct, and presto! No need for two wall plugs anymore. It worked excellent. The only thing is sometimes there is a slight amount of flicker, I imagine this would be fromt the screen drawing more power for a brighter image (I am totally guessing here) and getting .8 amps instead of 1 amp. Overal I am really happy though. I will put a plug on the back of the PS2 eventually, so it will look really clean.

For the 7808, the positive connection for 8V is the red dot on the photo above, and the negative connection is the back of the regulator (and the middle pin, but that is a little small to solder to).

fragment

here is an image from my V5 board.

gannon

Yeah, I found the 7808 too. The ps2 mb also has 2 7805s on it.

fragment

Yeah, the 7805 would be great for hooking up a bunch of LEDs with 5V.