So the XRGB-3 is out

Started by Computolio, June 07, 2006, 05:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Computolio

I'm guessing from the appearance of the Micomsoft site that the XRGB-3 is finally on sale over in Japan. The feature list looks pretty impressive, and the price, uh, reflects that.

Has anyone in the English-speaking world gotten their hands on one yet?

gar3

See, this doesn't make any sense to me. Amazon of Japan had the thing listed as a pre-order back in February. A month later the listing was gone and I just checked again and it's still not back. Hmm.

I guess I'll wait until I hear word from NCS. If they can get their hands on some units, I'm guessing the thing is really available this time.

If not, meh, my XRGB-2+ is still going strong.

gar3

Wait a minute, Micomsoft's site still says they'll be taking pre-orders shortly.
It isn't out yet . . . or is it?
*cough*

Release date is 7/15/05 according to Micomsoft's site.

Segasonicfan

holy crap, isn't that around $380?

me want....but that's too damn much.
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

help

hi to everyone, am kind of comfused about the XRGB-3 and am not sure what exactly its functionality is. please i need someone to tell me a full review/explaination of the device and please if you can send me an email at ladex142online@yahoo.com i would be very happy.

NFG

Just so we're clear, you want someone, anyone, to buy this expensive piece of equipment and type up a review, and send it directly to you, so you can figure out what it is and does?

Ummm....  

gar3

acem77

Notable updates include 525i, 525p, 1125i, and 750p support through D4 input, firmware updates through USB port, output via digital RGB (DVI-D) and analog RGB (15 pins), full featured remote control, and more.

maybe it will work better with some jamma boards mainly midway pcbs grrr.....
mk, nba jam  ect....
other than that support for 720p is nice.

fuck u lawrence

QuoteJust so we're clear, you want someone, anyone, to buy this expensive piece of equipment and type up a review, and send it directly to you, so you can figure out what it is and does?

Ummm....
hi Lawrence, please shut your mouth if you don't understand what the question was, all i want is simple, or should i ask my question in an elementary school format: ok, Mr lawrence and anyone who can help
1. Give a breef discription of what you think this device is ?
2. what is it used for (because it seems u guy know what the device is, the
   product's website is in japanese and i can't read their language)
Do you now understand what am asking, please lawrence. Next time don't vex your anger on me just because you are poor!

..........and do not bother to reply because am out of here and this forum sucks. i was lazy to do my research, but am off to research it online.....buy  

acem77

teh drama....... lol almost as bad as the neo-geo forum lol

NFG

Hahahaha, funny.  An unregistered idiot doesn't like me.  Oh, how it troubles me!  I am ashamed!

No, wait, I'm not.  =D

dear guest

oh no, what the hell is this.....Mr Admin, why do u have to be negative about a simple question. oh well Mr guest isn't coming back, but here is a link that could help him http://gear.ign.com/articles/358/358098p1.html but since is not coming back, i hope he finds what he's looking for..........

NFG

I think this should be official policy around here:

We won't do your work for you.  We won't use google because you're too lazy, and we won't email you directly if you're too lazy to register for an account.  It's bad enough you're lazy, but an answer sent directly to you benefits only you, an answer on the forums benefits everyone.

Put another way, lazy stupid people aren't welcome here, and I don't care if they dislike me for thinking this way.

And, for the record 'dear guest', we have rules about using U instead of YOU as well.  ;)

Finally, don't forget that your IP is logged.  We all know now that all these guest posts are from the same person.

Computolio

T DEAR GUEST/FUCK U LAWRENCE

Why are you being such a complete idiot over something that is so completely not worth being an idiot about? It's just a stupid video toy that nobody can afford anyway.

gar3

So now that that's outta the way :lol:

Anyone here planning to pick up an XRGB-3 soon? I'd be all over it but I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from my XRGB-2+ to it. If I could sell my XRGB-2+ at a decent price though...

Seriously though, anyone getting the XRGB-3 right away?

Guest_Blaine

Yeah. How dare you be so coarse! All he wanted, was to know what the magic toaster did.

And have it emailed to him personally.

BUY!

Strolls

QuoteAnyone here planning to pick up an XRGB-3 soon? I'd be all over it but I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from my XRGB-2+ to it. If I could sell my XRGB-2+ at a decent price though...

Seriously though, anyone getting the XRGB-3 right away?
I'm very tempted. It would seem to give me lots if options for connecting my Panasonic Q, which would hopefully reduce the headache of that somewhat. I wonder what kinda connectors the Wii will have, tho'?

One question: will this work to connect all games to a VGA monitor, or only progressive-scan ones? I'm told that 90% of games are progressive-scan, but it would be just my luck to find that half my collection was in that 10%!!!

The price is somewhat off-putting. If it were �160 then that would be much easier to swallow. NCS have a good reputation as an supplier, right? Does anyone know how they are about marking stuff down for VAT & import duty?

Out of curiosity: what does this give you that your XRGB-2+ doesn't? The top resolution of 1600x1200 looks very useful, but it seems to me that things like firmware update via USB is only useful if the new firmware actually has features you want.

Stroller.

Blaine

If memory serves, the Wii will have a VGA cable. With the ease people were converting D-Terminal and Component cables to VGA, I'd like to think Nintendo would give that as an option. I could be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere.

HDMI is obvious out, I don't know how the D-Terminal is doing in Japan so... yeah.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

gar3

QuoteOut of curiosity: what does this give you that your XRGB-2+ doesn't?
Support for 720p :)

Fudoh

I ordered one :) Though I use a full-blown videoscaler (PMS Crystalio) for my LCD TV, I'd like to see the XRGB-3's performance on my 1600x1200 res LCD monitors.

The added progressive support has great potential. While the XRGB1/2/2+ always reduced the visible vertical res to 50%, the XRGB-3 should be able to maintain the full resoution before scaling the picture for LCD connectivity...

If you're using a CRT with your XRGB you should basically be good with a XRGB2/2+ plus a XSELECT-D4 for transcoding progressive YUV to VGA, but on a digital display the XRGB-3 should be much better.

I'm looking forward to receive the machine and will gladly do a full review if nobody else is faster...

Tobias

kyouki

I've got an LCD TV and am wondering what difference (if any) I will see if I connect my PS2 to an XRGB3.  I'm looking forward to your impressions once you get the hardware!

Fudoh

QuoteI've got an LCD TV and am wondering what difference (if any) I will see if I connect my PS2 to an XRGB3. I'm looking forward to your impressions once you get the hardware!

fabulous ! Current LCD screens have scaling engines and deinterlacers designed for soft video-content, not for pixel-based videogames. A XRGB2+ takes the image to a new level already and I'll make sure to report on the 3 once I get it.

Tobias

kyouki

QuoteI've got an LCD TV and am wondering what difference (if any) I will see if I connect my PS2 to an XRGB3. I'm looking forward to your impressions once you get the hardware!

fabulous ! Current LCD screens have scaling engines and deinterlacers designed for soft video-content, not for pixel-based videogames. A XRGB2+ takes the image to a new level already and I'll make sure to report on the 3 once I get it.

Tobias
Thank you!  I am looking forward to reading your impressions.

Inkvisitor

Hi, I have just received my XRGB-3 and am struggling with the japanese menus. If you know japanese or anyone who might be able to translate, it would be most welcome. I will post snapshots of the menusystem.

You can find my review of the XRGB-3 here.

Inkvisitor

I got help translating the menu on shmup forums. So here is the compiled document, menusystem is indexed and translated.

It's available in pdf here:
XRGB-3.translated.menusystem.pdf

And as images here:
XRGB-3.translated.menusystem.1.png
XRGB-3.translated.menusystem.2.png

TechnicalMonkey

I'm glad fubarduck was able to help you out. I'm still upset they banned him from SRK.

Alex77au

Is it possible to use upscan converters like the xrgb3 with a crt monitor?
I own a pal ps2 and I doubt crt monitors would even handle our 50hz refresh rate but I just though I'd ask.

Strolls

QuoteIs it possible to use upscan converters like the xrgb3 with a crt monitor?
I own a pal ps2 and I doubt crt monitors would even handle our 50hz refresh rate but I just though I'd ask.
Ummm... I'm pretty sure CRT monitors refresh better than flat-screens - at least, it's always in connection with TFTs that I hear of problems syncing frame-rates with 3D games. (although that may be a slightly different issue)

Certainly, I've only ever had one CRT monitor that had a refresh rate�as poor as 60hz - and that was second-hand nearly 10 years ago. Most late-model CRTs are capable of at least 75hz or 80hz at reasonable resolutions. I have a pair of old Trinitrons here, a model of Sony that was commonly rebranded & sold by 3rd-parties (I've seen them marked as Dell, Sun and these are SGI) which I've had at least 4 years and which were second-hand and end-of-lease when I got them. They're running at 1600 x 1200 @ 75hz.

If I buy an XRGB-3 then it will be to use it with a CRT, and I will be VERY disappointed if it doesn't work.

Stroller