Problems with Genesis 2

Started by Specineff, March 19, 2006, 07:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Specineff

Hi all. I have a Sony PVM 1910, and all my consoles run through a cable with different adaptors for PS1/PS2, Genesis 1 and Saturn. Looks fine and stuff.

Problem is the Genesis 2. Sonic 1, for example, will look washed. Or just too bright. Sonic's face looks like he's albino, to give you an explanation. A genny 1 will look fine. With each color and brightness the way it's supposed to. It also happened with an Amiga 1080 monitor.

This cable has an LM 1881 so it can be used with the PS1/PS2. The guy who made the cords for me is pretty much using the composite video signal to get the sync, through the LM 1880.

The reds and yellow will lose detail, because there's so little brightness on it. And it only happens with the model 2. When used with a Sega CD, the letters "Produced by or Under License of Sega Enterprises" will look completely white on a genny 2. On the model 1, it will look in that turqoise blue that it's supposed to be.

Is this because the Genny 2 is sending the wrong type of signal through the composite video, (I'm using the LM 1881 to get the sync from there and it works with all the other consoles) or is it just that it plain sucks as a console? I thought it was the cables they made for me, but I am sure all the pins are connected where they are supposed to be.

Should I make my own cable for the Genny 2, but without taking sync from the composite video, instead? I don't use the genny 1 too much because it doesn't give me stereo sound and the headphone out is too dirty and scratchy.

Any help?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Here are some pics. This is the Genny 1. Notice the rich tones of blue and Sonic's head, and how the letters on the bottom look blue-ish.

Check the dunes on the desert and the red ring around Hiro on Lunar EB:

Now check the Genny 2. Same monitor, same settings. Again, this is using sync from the composite video, via a an LM 1881, just like the Genny 1.
Sonic has become an albino, and the letters are completely white.

Also, the dunes are gone, and the red ring around Hiro is now gray. Not to mention, this looks incredibly dark and lifeless.

So, is there something on the Genny 2 that just plain sucks when it comes to RGB? Or maybe the sync from the composite video is messing everything up? Help? :wacko:  

viletim!

You'll probably need to put a 75 ohm resistor and a 220u electrolytic capacitor in series with each (rgb) colour signal. Exact values arn't importaint, use what you can get.

Both my Megadrive I (japanese) and Megadrive II (european) require these components in their RGB cables.