dreamcast rgb

Started by whiskthecat, January 10, 2012, 05:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskthecat

Hello, I have connected my dreamcast to a sony pvm-1953MD but could not find information online as to wether or not a 220uF capacitor is supposed to be used on the composite sync line as is used on the rgb lines. The picture looks great with the exception of some slight horizontal ghosting, for example when white text is on a black background there is a faint white bar all the way from the end of the text to the edge of the screen. Just curious about the capacitor and if anyone knows what causes this ghosting or if it is just a characteristic of the crt. Thanks.

whiskthecat

No one has any ideas or suggestions on this? To give another example, on a complete black screen if a small white circle were to travel up the center of the screen, it would have a trailing white streak going off to the right edge of the screen. Perhaps crosstalk between the wires I am using to exit the dreamcast through the vent holes? I have tried shorting out the inline capacitors while the DC is running and it doesnt seem to help the problem or have any effect other than making it lose sync for a second on the sync line.

NFG

Something that trails all the way to the edge is almost certainly a CRT issue, typically problems with the cabling will manifest as screen-wide interference (especially in high res signals, not so much with the Dreamcast) or repeating and fading ghosting on high-contrast edges.

Any other opinions?

kendrick

I'd be interested to know what other behavior the CRT exhibits when another console is plugged in. Something that's really noisy, like an NES or a Sinclair ZX-81 or something. I agree with Lawrence, in that I'm betting there's a problem with the CRT and not with the Dreamcast output.

whiskthecat

I have seen similar things on other CRTs but it was always from one end of the screen to the other caused by an on screen object. Never from an on screen object to one edge. I had my NES plugged in not too long ago and didn't notice the effect. Of course I wasn't scrutinizing the composite image as much as I was the RGB from the Dreamcast. I suppose I will hook up the SNES with RGB and attempt to use shorter wires and see what happens. Thanks guys.

whiskthecat

Same issue on SNES. I suppose it is the CRT then unless it could be the wires or capacitors as I used the same ones for both the dreamcast and snes.