NGC RGB doesn't work with SNES :-(

Started by orto, September 09, 2005, 09:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orto

Hello Folks,

i am new here. Looks like there are some real professionals here :-)

Here my Problem:

I am from Germany so i have PAL SNES & NGC.  I have two RGB Cables for my NGC. Now i wanted to use these with my "new" SNES. There is some Signal, but its extremly dark.

I have read somewhere that the NGC RGB Cable is Diffrent to the SNES RGB ... is that right?

Is there a possibility two modify the NGC Cable that it works with the SNES? Will the Cable then work with Both (NGC and SNES) or only with one?

Would be realy nice if some could help me :-)

atom

What do you mean by "new" snes? You just got it or its the newer style released in the US?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

orto

Just bought it :-) als PAL SNES have RGB. It must be something with the Cable.

viletim!

orto,
Yup, different cables. To make a PAL GC cable work with a PAL SNES: open up the SCART end of the cable, locate three coupling caps (they're 220u electros I've heard), replace them with 47 ohm resistors.

viletim!

I should mention that these coupling caps are in series with the red, green and blue video signals.

LuxKiller65

And will an original Super Famicom RGB cable work on a PAL Super Nintendo?

:huh:  

Endymion

But will I get something on my TV? I mean, japanese SCART is different from European SCART, am I right?

Or can I just plug a PAL SNES with an official RGB for SF on my PAL RGB-capable TV and get the best picture quality available?

:-?

Endymion

If it is this, then no, it won't work. But all you have to do is rewire that so it is like this. Don't pull the pins out, just melt the solder with your iron and the wire will fall right out, replace the same way.

My soldering skills are below zero.
Does anybody know where I can find some PAL RGB SNES cable? Were these sold only with French SNESes or not?

thx

Endymion

It doesn't require skills. Seriously.

I was lucky, I just found an official PAL RGB cable for my SNES. I must say, long live PAL standard!

:P  

Endymion

Sure it isn't, thanks for reminding me. I meant it's the cable that was found in boxes of new PAL SNES here in France, that was it.

Erm, he asks up there about having RGB out of an NTSC machine.
It's my experience that a cable for PAL SNES won't work on NTSC SNES without one of the pins having a voltage on it and having caps inside. So no, they're not universally compatible.
Your PAL RGB cable will give overbright picture from NTSC SNES.
Your NTSC-compatible RGB cable will give very dim picture from your PAL SNES.

Vertigo