New HDTV no video with component cables.

Started by Dougb, January 04, 2010, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougb

Hello all. Here's a brief intro to me and my problem:

My wife and I moved from the U.S. to Budapest a few months back.  Had to leave some audio and video gear behind for obvious reasons, but have just bought an LG 32LH3000 HDTV.  One of the things we left behind is the DVD player, but we also have an dual voltage Karaoke/dvd player that works here just fine. Figured I'd use it with the new TV and all would be well. Unfortunately, this might not happen for some reason. 

First thing's first. This Karaoke/DVD player has no HDMI ports.  Strike one.  So I tried hooking up my RCA component cables *which were from the U.S. but never thought that would make a difference* but this produced no video.  Audio on the other hand, does work, but this doesn't matter, as the audio is only present when the TV's source is set to 'Component'.

Secondly, both the karaoke and TV have an PC VGA port. So I hooked it up that way.  Ok.. so now we have video, but NO audio.  For some reason, there's no standard analog audio connection on the tv, other than the one which is associated with hooking up a gaming console.  I did try this, but no love there either.

I guess my question then is.... Are all component cables supposed to be universal or not ? Shouldn't the one's I brought from the U.S. work, or no ? If so, then perhaps the component input panel on the TV is busted ?  Sure, I can go out and buy a new dvd or BD player with an HDMI port, but this isn't the point.  I'm guessing that the component inputs should work, and not just take up space for no reason.

Any input would be greatly appreciated !

Doug

Midori

Component video cables are universal, they are just wires made of copper with colored plastic around :-)

Some DVD players I've seen requires that you set output to component manually in the players menus. Have you checked around in your player for such options? I find it hard to belive that the component input on your TV should be busted...

Dougb

Me too Midori. Thanks for your answer though. Guess I'll have some digging around to do, but I believe that I ..

I got it ! Thanks to you bud...

But it's so silly.. I had to hook up the dvd player with the VGA connection in order just to see the changes I need to make for the component hook up ! This wasn't the end of it though. Wound up there was a translucent vertical bar going across the whole length of the screen in the middle. The dvd player reset its self every time I saved. I wound up being able to fix it.. took a bit of guessing.. but wow.  This thing is a PITA !

Definitely need a better dvd player !

thanks again

Doug