Contributing...

Started by Segasonicfan, May 08, 2004, 09:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should GameSX.com include PCB pinouts?

No, it's trivial to get that info when needed.
2 (33.3%)
Who really cares?
1 (16.7%)
Yes, I'm lazy and/or stupid (And Lawrence is an elitist prick!)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Segasonicfan

Hey peeps,
 After long painful hours of work on my portable CDX I finally figured out the video and controller pinouts for the model 2 Genesis.  Would anyone be interested in this info?  I wouldn't mind contributing it to GameSX just as long as I get my name put in there :)  I traced every pin and its destination on the 6-button Genesis pad.  Thse pins/outputs are ENTIRELY different than the Genesis 3-button Controller info on GameSX.  This enabled me to wire a 6-button controller to the system directly as well as know all the button inputs and most outputs!  Also, the model 2 has different controller port pinouts as well, including the 5v and Ground outs.

In addition to this I have figured out how to wire directly to the model 2 Genesis video.  I can write up a short diagram of what each pin is on the motherboard and where it outputs on the video adapter.  I think this would be a nice addition to the Genesis A/V  Section.  Let me know if this sounds interesting to anyone, or the admin if you would want this info.  Thanks :)

-Zachary (Segasonicfan)
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

QuoteAlso, the model 2 has different controller port pinouts as well, including the 5v and Ground outs.
This is incorrect, if the ports were different controllers from the old system wouldn't work on the new one, and we all know that's not the case.

I've always considered motherboard points to be a bit like idiot-level handholding, for people who can't work out a multimeter.  Anyone who'll be poking their head inside a console will have this basic tool and it takes about 60 seconds to work out the pinout.  Opinions?

(Note that I DO appreciate the offer...)