dual shock amperage

Started by phreak97, January 29, 2004, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

what resistor do i use to to safely connect led's to the motors so they will do their thing when the motors go?

(i was bored so i posted lacking technical speak.. i still want an answer)

Vertigo

Can you not just check what goes through it with a multimeter and work it out from there?

Scared0o0Rabbit

If I recall correctly, the dual shock relies on 9v dc power.  Dunno if that helps.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

NFG

It's actually an unregulated ~8v supply, which is what makes the PS such an odd thing.  3v + 8v, where all other consoles use 5v.  Very odd.  Not all 3rd-party pads are good with the power usage, which is why they used to blow fuses in the PS a LOT.  We used to replace one a week for our customers when they used non-Sony pads or memory cards.

phreak97

im getting ~7.5v but my multimeter doesnt like reading amps.. so i need one of you kind people to help me out and get me a resistor value to do the trick.. also im nice and bad at finding needed resistance, somehow i worked out i would need like a 1.5M resistor to get ~3v.......

(its hard to teach yourself ohms law... all i know i have tought myself, or been told online or via web pages.. the only electronics training i have had is grade 9 and 10 electronics)

Vertigo

It basically boils down to 4 formulae, each able to calculate Watts, Amperes, Volts and Ohms.
Could you do yourself and everyone else a favour by just learning how to do it, or even finding a webpage, writing them down, and going from there? You don't need to know them off by heart, just write them big on a bit of paper and stick it above your electronics workstation for reference.
Hell, if you're as intelligent and creative as you try to make out, I'm sure you're capable of substituting a few numbers in to an equation.

hemphacker

There's a ton of web pages that'll do LED resistor calculations for you (usually called LED calculators). Google for them.

phreak97

thankyou, i found one, but i do still need the amperage that goes to the motors. i still have no way to measure it.

i found an ohms law calculator but i only know the value for one field..

even with the resistance worked out, what do i do with it? what does it mean, say it tells me 100k, now what? a 100k resistor is not what i would want, it could not possibly be, i have entered no desired voltage or anything

EDIT:
vertigo, i can work with the equation if i have sufficient data to input, as i have said before and is the main reason for this post, my multimeter reads 0 no matter what i do if it is set to measure amps.. i have no way of knowing what amperage it is.

any lack of knowledge on my part is entirely due to lack of experience in creating my own circuits, i am only 16 after all. i can follow diagrams or instructions quite easily but always seem to have problems creating my own, there are so many people that dont seem to have the time fore anyone inexperienced.

NFG

You'll probably find (And I encourage this) this forum caters to people who want to do research, try new things, and find their own solutions to the problem.  GameSX.com has never, and will never, do hand-holding all-inclusive A-B guides.  Here's this pinout, here's that pinout, connect the dots any way you see fit.

phreak97

as i have said before i do not want hand-holding, this topic was for one single problem. if somebody had replied with one single line with just the amperage, i would have been quite happy enough.

note:
i dont mean to sound rude if, thats how that comes accross.

EDIT: i now realise i didnt say that anywhere, that was my mistake, sorry. but that is all i need, just the amperage.

thanks

Gord

QuoteIt's actually an unregulated ~8v supply, which is what makes the PS such an odd thing.  3v + 8v, where all other consoles use 5v.  Very odd.  Not all 3rd-party pads are good with the power usage, which is why they used to blow fuses in the PS a LOT.  We used to replace one a week for our customers when they used non-Sony pads or memory cards.
I wondered why so many people had problems with 3rd party products blowing out the fuses and bringing their machines into me to be fixed.  A few years late, but now I finally know why.

Guest_dale

For a blue, green, UV or white LED, you can use a 220 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor.   For a red, orange or yellow LED, use a 330 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor.  Connect one end of the resistor to one terminal of the motor, the other end of the resistor to one leg of the LED, and the other leg of the LED to the other terminal of the motor.  If it doesn't work, reverse the LED.  I haven't tried this myself, but I've hooked up a lot of LEDs in the past.  Let me know if it works.