PS1 disk read problems

Started by Guest who, February 14, 2006, 07:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest who

The in-game audio on my old Playstation (model SCPH-5501) is playing really choppy on most games. Another problem I'm having with it is the fact that sometimes it will stop loading and the disk will spin up and slow down over and over. The disks are scratched, but not that bad, as ePSXe will still read them. Is it time to go flea-market hunting for a new one, or is there a possible quick fix for this?

kendrick

The normal CD troubleshooting and testing procedures apply. The 5501 has a stock 2X Sony drive from that year, and so has the laser power adjustment pot right there on the side of the lens unit. This particular unit also has a flimsy, crumbly ribbon cable which is a possible point of failure, so it's worth replacing that if adjusting the laser output doesn't have the desired effect. You might also check the ball bearing nubs that hold the disc in place... I don't know why, but the springs behind those nubs on all of the grey PSX units lose their tensile strength pretty consistently, meaning that the disc may slip as it spins and cause otherwise unexplained read errors.

I've, uh, fixed one or two of these before. I'm just saying.

-KKC, who is covered in Pirates of the Revolution trading cards and requires some kind of organizing case for them.