Problem with Yamaha V769970 & CF

Started by X-Col, September 28, 2014, 08:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Col

Hi Guys,

After fixing the PSU on my Ace HD (with lots of help from forum members, notably Eidis & Lydux), I'm having trouble getting my HD (yamaha + CF) working.

I have installed the SxSI driver in SRAM, set the device to ID0 on the jumpers. In Human OS I type SCSIFormat and type 0 for ID0
It says-
HD type YAMAHA CD-DRV. 2.00
Unit does not show capacity
loading error
Initialise the entire device ? <Y/N>
I press Y
It says-
Perform physical format ? <Y/N>
I press Y
It says-
Has been formatted. Formatting error occurred

Also tried dumping an image file to CF but it does not boot

Jumpers for ID0, parity on, termination on, block size off

Can you help me peeps?

Update: tried with real HD with same results ???

X-Col

I'm wondering if it is because I haven't been able to fully boot from the Master disk v2?

My 5.25 disk drive on the PC is old and very unreliable.

I haven't been able to dump a copy of the master disk so it will boot. I have however been able to get a copy of Human v3 to boot.

I therefore booted from Human, then swapped disks to load up bootset.x and install it to SRAM.
It installed no probs. is it not working because it wasn't fully booted from the master disk?

Just clutching at straws, I can't figure out what's wrong here  ???

eidis

Hi X-Col !

The settings of your SCSI to IDE adapter look correct and the adapter is being recognized.  Are you using the original or DIY SASI cable ? You could also try using different CF card or an old hard disk. Right now I am using Dane-Elec 2Gb card and it works without problems. Kingston could be a good card as-well.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

X-Col

Hi Eidis!

I'm using the original SASI cable and have tried the following CF cards:
1GB Sandisk
512MB Kingston
256MB unbranded (from Lotharek)
The HD was the oldest I have (4GB)

Thinking of selling the Yamaha and buying an AztecMonster instead....

X-Col

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Try restoring and booting something small, like this:

Genocide2
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Uploads/Hyperspin/Genocide2.zip

Each HDD image is just RAW data which should work if restored to any CF or HDD. Please post a pic of your CF adapter. The setup might not work if you are using an adapter which supports two CF cards. You might try playing with the adapter jumpers, if it has any.

This is the one which I am using.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=x68000:led_mod_1.jpg

QuoteThinking of selling the Yamaha and buying an AztecMonster instead....

Don't rush things or you will quickly run out of money. ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

X-Col

I will try that image Eidis,

here is a picture of the CF adapter I'm using. Bought because it fits straight into the Yamaha.

I'm using WinImage v 8.50 to transfer the image to CF card..

X-Col

Hi Eidis,

Tried the small image on all 3 CF cards but no joy  :(
On SxSI boot screen it just says-

Standard boot because no unit can start

X-Col

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Remove the DMA jumper from your CF adapter and try again. If that fails, try setting the CF card as SLAVE.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

Quote from: eidis on September 28, 2014, 10:33:52 PM
Hi X-Col !

Remove the DMA jumper from your CF adapter and try again. If that fails, try setting the CF card as SLAVE.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Thanks Eidis, tried that but still no joy  :(

Not easy owning an X68000 is it!  :o

eidis

Hi X-Col !

What about the RST jumper ? Try removing it.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

Already tried Eidis, and different combinations.

Going to work, leave it for another day.....

Thanks for your continued support  :D

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Make sure that your CF card is receiving power. You might also want to try a different CF adapter because X68000 detects the V769970 but does not see the connected device. Have you tried testing the V769970 with a PC ? Have a look at the following article for some inspiration.

CompactFlash cards and DMA/UDMA support in True IDE (tm) mode
http://www.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/cf.html

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

Hi Eidis,

Unfortunately I don't have any SCSI equipment I can test the Yamaha on, I'm beginning to suspect it's at fault. The CF adapter works fine in the PC.

The Yamaha adapter didn't even work with a real HD.

The article was over my head I'm afraid  :o

X-Col

P.S. My other 3.5" CF adapter has a female connector, so won't fit into the V769970. The others are 2.5" adapters I generally use on my Amiga's

eidis

Hi X-Col !

One last thing. Try setting the adapter to different ID's and see if the SxSI bootloader recognizes it on their respective ID's.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

I've tried other ID's and all say on SxSI Boot screen

Chk. Conn.
So not read
Chi. Conn.
Not boot type

Is recognised by SCSIFormat without CF adapter connected, not recognised when connected

Update: it is recognised if RST jumper is removed from CF adapter.
Off to work, so will try again tomorrow. Looks like it prefers RST jumper removed....

eidis

Hi X-Col !

This looks very promising. I have a good feeling that success is near.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

I'm off today Eidis, so got a bit more time.

I've rigged an LED to the CF adapter so I can see when it is being accessed.

I note it does light up on first power up but then nothing. I am still not able to boot from the HD image from CF. Tried 4 different CF cards....  :(

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Does the LED light up when SxSI bootloader appears on the screen ?

Update: I am using DaneElec 2Gb CF card. Have not tried others.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

Hi Eidis,

Some good news!
Success with a real HD!  :D

Dumped image to the drive, set it as Master. Removed the Parity jumper from the Yamaha V769970
It booted!!

Now to try the CF again...

X-Col

SUCCESS!!!!

Found another CF card:
4GB Transcend 133x

Set CF adapter as Slave, replaced RST jumper and DMA jumper.
Yamaha set at ID3, Parity off, Terminator on, Block Size off.

Yes!!

Thanks for your help Eidis!!!  ;D

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Congratulations on a job well done ! Your discovery will surely help many others as well. A new gaming experience awaits you.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis