psx power supply questions

Started by socialdrone, September 24, 2004, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socialdrone

hi,  i was given a japanese playstation with a broken power supply.  i switched out the psu with a working one from a u.s. console and it works no problem...except it will only play u.s. games now.

the problem with the japanese psu seems to start at 'ic101' a chip labeled sa41k01, im guessing it might be a smps controler made by sanyo or fairchild??  i can find no information on it at either the fairchild or sanyo webpages.  and after searching google i can find nothing that really helps me either.

while i hit a dead end with the japanese psu i was thinking that it would be possible to alter the u.s. power supply in such a way that it would allow me to play japanese games.  does anyone know how the playstation uses region codes?  does anyone know how to modify a playstation to play japanese games without using a modchip?

and can anyone give me information on the sa41k01...

any help would be great, thanks

Aidan

As far as I'm aware, the PSU plays no part in the region protection on the PSX. It sounds like the PSX mainboard was actually a US mainboard, not a Japanese mainboard as you were lead to believe.

[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

NFG