News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Midi confusion

Started by famiac, June 27, 2014, 04:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

Alright, so i don't have an X68000 yet, but i plan on getting one. I do however already have a midi expansion board and i was wondering what sound modules would be needed for the best sound/most compatibility.

Which do you guys use? I've heard of all of these:

MT-32
CM-64
CM-32L
SC-55
SC-88

Is the sc-88 preferable to the 55 or not?

Edit: also, does anyone have any sound modules for sale?

Neshek

CM-64 is a combination of MT-32/CM-32P and CM-32L
Better try to get CM-64 over MT/CM-32P/L

SC-88 also has SC-55 sound banks so it could be better overall for general midi but i don't know if a lot of x68000 games take advantage of SC-88 sound bank.
I think SC-88 also has MT-32 compatibility equal to SC-55.

I personally acquired a SC-55 (3,400 Yen) for a start. Quite cheap and MT-32 compatiible to some extent. Couldn't find CM-64 not affordable i fear.

Then for x68000 is CM-64 worth it over CM/MT-32?

famiac

So it seems there aren't any known advantages to having an sc88. I'm sure i'll end up paying more than you did for an sc55, haha. I'll look for a cm64 in the near future. Thanks neshek

Neshek

You're welcome. :)

There's also a SC-55MkII a bit beefier but i don't know if it's of any use for x68000

But wait for the gurus to confirm :)

BlueBMW

I beleive the SC-88 has the sc-55mkII subset in it.  Supposedly the sc-55mkII is a patched sc-55 and has a few compatibility issues with games that were programmed with the original SC-55 in mind.  Ive never noticed an issue personally though.

My recommendation is find an original SC-55 and a CM-64 as that combo will give you the best compatibility amongst x68000 games.

Opethian

I have a SC55-mkII and it sounds great on konami games. I use the CM-64 more than the SC55mkII since I don't have a mixer yet :(

famiac

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I'll get myself an sc55 or sc155 soon. I'm having trouble finding a cm64 but i'm sure i'll see it someday.

sleepydwarf

What about this?
Not sure on what these go for, but I am in UK so post cost is a consideration for me, and I don't yet have an x68k midi card :-(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Roland-CM-64-LA-PCM-Sound-Module-w-PSU-/111341166924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ec73614c

H68k

Some older midi synths, like the Roland SC series or Yamaha MU series have a line in/out pass through feature. so you wont have to use a mixer... but be aware, not all of them do (Roland MT-32, CM series etc).

If your using a midi synth that does not have a pass through feature, then a simple passive, two channel mixer will serfice.. but you might find you may have to turn the volume up a bit more on your amp/speakers etc. with an active powered amplified mixer. you'll be able to better set the volume levels from both the X68ks on-board sound hardware and the external midi synth. if one is quieter or louder than the other.

The official midi boards made by Sharp are quite rare, but the functionally identical (uses the same chip) System Sacom clones are a bit more common, and show up every so few weeks.