News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

disassemble XVI

Started by sakaiza91, June 18, 2014, 08:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakaiza91

Hi,

I'm trying to open up the left side of my XVI (floppy side) but it's more difficult than the right side. I have unscrewed these 3:
Did I miss some more screws?

wildo2ne

looks like the side just might be frozen, have you tried giving it a little muscle?

sakaiza91

not really, i'm gonna try a little harder.  thx for the answer

BlueBMW

There are three clips where the side panel meets the front bezel.  Press in a little on the side panel while putting pressure towards sliding the panel to the rear.  The bottom and top have hooks.  Once youve slid the panel back 6mm or so it should lift up from the bottom and outward from the top.  It can take some effort to get the panel to slide back and unclip from the front bezel.

skpstmgs

You can try sliding in a folded piece of paper or cardboard between the side panel and the front bezel. Move the piece of paper vertically (assuming the XVI is right-side up) until it reaches one of the clips. You can also try using two pieces on either end, then push in the middle of the panel and pull it to the rear at the same time to loosen it.

NFG

The drive side is always a massive hassle to remove.  It doesn't come off any differently than the other side, but you can't push the panel in because the floppy drives are in the way.  It's made worse because the front panel bends, so when you're pulling on the side the front comes with it, and makes it even harder to push inwards.

Try to keep the front from following the side panel, that'll help.  But there's no other trick to it, you're not overlooking a latch or button or screw.  Hold the front forward, pull like hell on the side, and it'll come off.

sakaiza91

Thanks for the advice.
        I've finally made it.
     The key thing is to push a little on the three clips (using something as thin as a credit card, me I used some Pokémon cap) where the side panel and the front bezel meet until you hear a click.
   When the front bezel is detached from the side panel, this is it.

RobIvy64

When I got my Super in 2010, I thought I was going to snap the side panel off. At that time I didn't know anyone else that had one and had to try and figure it all out.

As big of a pain as the X68000 is to disassemble, the FM Towns II computers are like nothing I have ever seen. I would take me a solid 30 minutes to disassemble one of those...
"Console Mods" lurker