Major release: Launching games with a Joystick

Started by eidis, June 27, 2014, 03:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Gentleman,

Today marks another milestone for the X68000 community.

Eidis and JackLeather proudly present the long awaited solution for keyboardless X68000 users.
Games can now be launched by using a joystick from a decent looking frontend.
Place all files in root directory, reboot and enjoy !

Get it here:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/V4%20Patches/HDD_V4_SP1_frontend.zip

Original thread by JackLeather which started it all:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4180.msg28215#msg28215

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis (26.06.2014)
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

neko68k

98pacecar

Very cool!

Will this load up automatically instead of LHES? I'm thinking this might be good for demos and shows where I don't want to risk a keyboard. If it can be made to automatically detect a keyboard and launch into LHES if one is there, that would be even cooler.

eidis

Hi Neko68k and 98pacecar !

Busted. Neko68k, you have eagle eyes because this is exactly where it came from. It was taken from Neutrino diskmag and the most funniest thing about it is that it actually works pretty good. However, it is LZX compressed and weighs 58k when unpacked so this brings the following problem that some rare games do not work because they do not know how to address more that the first 2Mb or RAM. Right now they are Super Hang-On and Undeadline. Fairyland story, Gradius2 and Phalanx do not work because of other reasons. By the way, did you have the time to work on the joy2key driver which Lydux proposed ?

98pacecar,

Yes, the X68000 boots straight into it and games can be launched by using a joystick. Press BRK (Escape?) if you want to exit it and use LHES. You can optionally add rem in front of the autoexec.bat line which launches it. That way it will be treated as comment and LHES will be launched, as usual, at every reboot.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

skpstmgs

Haven't tried this yet, just want to express my happiness. Totally made my day. Can't wait to try it :). Thanks Eidis & JackLeather.