News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

OmniFlop Help

Started by wildo2ne, June 08, 2014, 08:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildo2ne

Trying to use Omniflop on a Windows XP machine formatted to fat32 with a Teac 5.25 floppy drive with both the omniflop floppy and fdc drivers installed and I keep getting an error of "More data is available the operation was abandoned

does anyone know what this error means and how to get around it?

eidis

Hi Wildo2ne !

Did you convert the floppy image files to XDF before attempting to write to physical media ? Also, can you read regular PC formatted floppies with your current setup ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

wildo2ne

Yeah its converted to xdf, I was able to read from the drive until I installed the omniflop drivers and now windows keeps telling me to insert a disk even though one is in the drive

eidis

It could be linked to the Omniflop driver. Try to uninstall Omniflop and the driver and reinstall them as administrator (right click on the setup file and select Run as administrator). Make sure that you have obtained the free Omniflop licence, if required. If that does not help, try to use one of the older versions.

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm#Downloads

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

wildo2ne

I am trying to use the latest beta version and there is no setup file just the executable and the drivers

eidis

There is a special section in the User Guide.pdf, page 41, which comes with the program, regarding uninstall. Have you tried older versions ?

wildo2ne

yeah I just reinstalled winxp and tried 2.01p

is there a particular brand of drive that works better then others?

going to try using an older pc tomorrow as the one I am using right now is a more modern dual core using a sata ssd for hard drive

eidis

Page 14 of the user guide:

2.1 System Requirements
a) An IBM-PC compatible 386 or better.
b) Either:
i. (for OmniFlop) a built-in NEC-compatible floppy disk controller. You can use the
Diagnostic options of OmniFlop to see if this holds for your system.
ii. (for OmniFlopUSB) a USB-connected external floppy disk drive.
c) Windows 2000 SR1 or later, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Ultimate.

wildo2ne

yeah I ran the tests and showed that it was capable of reading/writing all formats. Now when I reload the os it won't even read the floppies and this is before I install the omniflop drivers. Going to look online for another drive, any suggestions for brand other then Teac?

eidis

I used Mitsumi (Newtronics) 509V for dumping and writing my disks. Worked like a charm. Try to clean your floppy drive heads with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. I once had a drive which heads looked clean but it was unable to read anything. Cleaning with q-tip and water or mild cleaner did not help. The agressive medical spiritus (isopropyl?) did the trick.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis