Swapping Saturn Pad Guts

Started by kendrick, March 21, 2005, 06:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendrick

Let's make this short; because it would have cost me about the same to source an original white Saturn pad, I instead purchased one of the white Saturn-style USB pads and decided to swap out the PCB with that of one of my US-release black Saturn pads. I discovered that the length of the shoulder button mechanisms was different on the two boards, so much so that I had to mess around with little rubber sticky pads to extend the effective contact surface on the outer plastic shoulder buttons.

So now I have a slightly scratched up black USB pad, and a brand-spanking new white Saturn pad. The only issue I have is that Japanese pads have grey cords, whereas American pads have black cords. So as of right now, I have the wrong color cables on each pad. Other than that, I was surprised that the dimensions and the interior components of each pad were identical, apart from the board. I guess there really is no fixing something that's already perfect.

-KKC, who now has another new toy to play with... A Dreamcast store display kiosk, complete with cooling fans and cheapo display. I wonder if I can hack an RGB input on this thing, or if I'm stuck with the RF input only.