NTSC GC

Started by Kouske, May 22, 2004, 03:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kouske

Bought an NTSC GC recently for use in an PAL area.

The problem is that the scart lead that came with it won't show me color screen.
Im guessing its because it needs an RGB cable to run here.

Can anyone confirm this for me  :blink:

hellbelly

Sounds like your TV doesn't support NTSC.  So yes, your best bet would be an RGB lead, and an NTSC cube doesn't make this easy!

Unlike PAL cubes, they don't work with a standard nintendo rgb lead, you'll need to either make a custom lead or buy a ready made one.

check out www.rgbcube.co.uk for a guide, it's best to make one with the Nintendo Digital Video Cable, rather than the Component cable (i'm pretty sure that's mentioned at the start of the guide though)

Pete

Kouske

So i can't just buy an official RGB cable from nintendo for this to work.

I have to make it myself:huh:

EDIT:

Sorry, didn't notice that you mentioned i could just buy one. :P  

hellbelly

play-asia.com and lik-sang.com both sell them, it's not cheap though!  there's a guy on ebay.co.uk selling a load at the moment aswell.

it's about �45

pete

Kouske

Actually, been reading it again and again and it doesn't seem to hard.
I just need some tips before i begin.

At section 3.1

"quoted"
Snip off the Red/Green/Blue RCA Phono plugs on the Component Video Cable

What are phonos'.

Im not the biggest electrician geek in the world.
Prolly don't have to be to know either.

Just wanna make sure i cut the right things off.

Also, my TV doesn't have manual RGB mode.
It only detects it once the rgb lead is plugged into connector.

Should i then use the composite cable that came with my GC or the SNES/N64 cable.

hellbelly

It's not difficult.  If you use the composite cable then you'll have to buy a scart plug to solder everthing to, which may or may not be cheaper than buying a 3rd party pal rgb lead to modify.

read the guide again, there is an update on the very first page recommending you don't use the component cable, and instead use the d-terminal/digital video cable (different name depending where you look, but the same cable).  also study sections 4 and 5, particularly the "Q difference" bit, it explains that it's better to get the AV and RGB switching voltage from the digital port and why the digital cable is better than the component cable (because it has some extra wires in it, you can make use of one of them to carry the 12v signal needed).  If you use this cable then the digital port carries the RGB signal, and the switching voltage, and the analogue port is only used to carry the audio and composite signal needed for sync'ing.

so if you use the digital cable, you won't even see the phono's you ask about (just so you know, look at the photo's, see the red, green and blue round plugs in the background, the same style connectors as your composite yellow, red and white connectors, that's a phono)

pete

NFG

Goddammit!  There's no apostrophe in a plural!  NEVER!

Phonos!  Cables!  GCs!  Kids, cats, wives!!  

hellbelly

and goddammit is proper english aswell is it  ;)  

Kouske

K, gonna perform the sugery. :rolleyes:

But im wondering about that D-Video cable, it has a port with i don't have on my TV.

Im thinking this means that i can't use the d-video cable and need to buy an Composite cable instead. :huh:

Can you confirm this Hellbelly

EDIT:
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/scartcable.htm

Is this what im looking for to make or buy :D  

davidleeroth

QuoteGoddammit!  There's no apostrophe in a plural!  NEVER!
How about PlayStations, that's still PS's? A bit like SOS's, right?

I'm off to play a punctuation game:

http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/ESLquiz.html

hellbelly

QuoteK, gonna perform the sugery. :rolleyes:

But im wondering about that D-Video cable, it has a port with i don't have on my TV.

Im thinking this means that i can't use the d-video cable and need to buy an Composite cable instead. :huh:

Can you confirm this Hellbelly

EDIT:
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/scartcable.htm

Is this what im looking for to make or buy :D
Yep, that shop is selling the cable that you either need to make or buy.

If you do make it, you snip the connector of the D-Video cable off, and strip it back and work with the wires (red, green, blue and black for 12v as per the guide).  You only use the connector that plugs into the cube, and solder the wires into a scart plug along with the wires from the analogue port.

Ta
Pete

Kouske

Ahh ok.
Now i understand.

Do you guys know how to open a scart that has no screws or anything like that.
Its one of those kinds you can plug yellow/red/white cables into it.
I'd force it open, but its the only one i have. And i really can't stop any clips.

Endymion

QuoteHow about PlayStations, that's still PS's? A bit like SOS's, right?
Actually, no, it would not.

The standard way to make plural is to add an -s at the end. If that doesn't work by convention (i.e. it  already ends in s) then you add an -es. Some words by construction change with the adding of the -s or the -es. (wife -> wives, leaf -> leaves)

In your example Playstation would be Playstations--there really isn't a way to pluralize abbreviations or acronyms though. If there were and it followed the rule, it would be PSes. And SOSes. There has never, ever, at any time been a way to make a pluralization by adding apostrophe + s.

hellbelly

Kouske - that's not the kind of scart plug you need, it's not good for RGB as it probably won't have the required pins.  you'd be better off buying the scart plug ready to solder from somewhere like maplins, or just buying a cheap pal rgb lead from anywhere (play-asia was the last one i used) and using it for the analogue signal and scart plug.

Everyone else - I hate the rules of the english language, it's the only language I know and I'm terrible at it!

Pete