RGB, Pal, and Atari SC1435 Monitor

Started by Born A Trumpet, May 02, 2004, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Born A Trumpet

Recently I found an old Atari SC1435 monitor for AU$5 at an auction, to see if I could get into this whole RGB thing...
Then, reading the Caveats Of RGB I came across this:
QuoteAtari ST (Colour) monitors should work, with some effort.
With some effort??
Does anyone know what that effort is??  :unsure:
I realise I have an SC monitor - so will that work with all these console RGB mods??
Also. . . a few other questions about RGB in general:

-Is it possible to make a composite(AV) -> RGB adapter??? Maybe pull one from an old TV?????

-All my console's are PAL (I'm Australian :s) - Which of these (I know some, if not most do not) will work with the RGB mods listed here?

Thanx in advance for helping a newbie (i.e ME!) into the modding scene  :D

-BAT (Born a Trumpet - Without surgery :P)

NFG

QuoteDoes anyone know what that effort is??
You'll need an LM1881 to separate the composite sync into H + V sync.

QuoteIs it possible to make a composite(AV) -> RGB adapter?
It's more trouble than it's worth, and the resultant quality will be poor at best.  You can buy video->RGB adaptors for ~$40 if you're lucky.

QuoteAll my console's are PAL
Consoles does not require an apostrophe.  Never use apostrophes for plurals.  Never ever!

The fact that your systems are PAL is irrelevant, with only a few exceptions, all post-NES consoles do RGB.  The exceptions are: 3DO, and most N64s.  Nothing else springs to mind...

Born A Trumpet

Thank you!! That solves my problem! :D

Thought it was strange that "some effort" linked to an LM1881 circuit  <_<
I've read up on the LM1881 now and don't have a problem building an adapter for the standard RGB DB9 pinout on gamesx.com. . .  Except for two things:

-The pinout has no ground!! This is a problem isn't it?? Or am I imagining it?

-Where am I going to find an LM1881 to buy on this isolated island (Australia)?
Ebay maybe?? - but then it'd be second hand!

Thanx again!

Oh, and I'm really sorry - I'll try and cut the apostrophes in future :P

NFG

QuoteThe pinout has no ground!! This is a problem isn't it?? Or am I imagining it?
Use the shell of the connector as ground.

QuoteWhere am I going to find an LM1881 to buy on this isolated island
There are many online resellers of this part.  While I don't know of any offhand, perhaps someone else can recommend one?

Endymion

I just went to National Semiconductor's site and asked for samples. They happily sent five of them my way. :)

Okies thanx again!
I'll shop around and have a look at this semiconductor site too :D

SBKallstars

I run all my PAL consoles on my amiga 1084s monitor (RGB) with no LM1881 or capacitors and it works great  :)