Proscan Multimedia Monitor

Started by fragment, April 16, 2004, 06:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragment

ok, so I have this Proscan PS32800 32" Multimedia monitor that has 2 VGA/SVGA inputs which is awesome. I can hook up my laptop and with my wireless keyboard and mouse, I got a HUGE monitor for the web. Also DIVX and DVD movies look awesome. I have the HDTV box for this, but unfortunately no satelite or HD cable right now. However, I am curious what I could do in regards to video games. This TV has component in, but whenever I put anything in progressive, it doesn't display right (will only do progressive in VGA mode).

So here are some specs:

NTSC -  15.75kHz/30Hz Interlaced
VGA   -  640X480 60/72Hz Progressive
SVGA - 800X600 60Hz Progressive

Monitor control - VESA Ddc2b (VGA1)
VGA & SVGA inputs - 2 -15 pin D-Sub

Right now I use Component cables to hook up my PS2, but wanted to know what would be the best way to hook up my games systems.

The PS2 has component, and the rest have S-Video.  My idea was to get a VGA cable for the PS2 but understand that only some games will work with that. But then again, on lik-sang.com it says that the SVGA cable will only work the Japanese systems. However, I think that my scan rate is incompatible. I picked up a cheap VGA box, and although there weren't any lines visible, the colors were dull and the picture was smaller than my screen size. I took it right back (got a good deal on it, oh well).

So again, would this TV be worth getting a good VGA box for?

Endymion

You might as well stick with component for the consoles that can output it (XBox, PS2, Gamecube) and use SCART RGB cables to wire up an RGB connection for your other consoles that don't have ready-made component solutions. (Which is more or less everything but those three.) Do not use a "VGA box" for any console other than the Dreamcast--it will suck badly, unless it's an XRGB--and you could get results just as nice as that (maybe a little nicer) simply by rewiring your own cables.

benzaldehyde

Hiya,

That's pretty silly of them not to have progressive scan component support. Just about every video game system released (sans 3DO) are capable of outputting a 15kHz RGB signal. The PS2 can do a VGA signal (480p RGB), but it's a little strange. It's a sync-on-green motif, which means more circuitry is needed to get the sync off the green and remove the sync pulses from the green signal. If you don't, the picture you get is strongly tinted green. I have a Blaze VGA adapter, and it has the greenish screen problem; I'm looking to fix that presently. Alas, precious few PS2 games support progressive scan; most EA games do, as does Gulity Gear XX, Jak II, and the new Ratchet and Clank. Check here to see. This means that your best bet is just to use your component cables for the PS2; the difference between component and RGB video is noticible, but academic. If you invest in a Gamecube or XBox, you can get VGA from those; the Gamecube outputs directly with modification to a component cable, and the XBox component signal can be transcoded. Of course, the Dreamcast can do it all by its mighty self.

Your VGA Box probably only upscans composite video, which yields "TEH SUX." You can get upscanners that work on RGB signals, giving you a VGA signal with a native color signal. They're a little more expensive, like the XRGB-2/+, but they're great. The only problem is a little bit of wobble in the image; it might be magnified on your larger screen. Of course, S-Video is stilll pretty nice, just not perfect. ;)

BTW, you should mention your deal with 8PDT switches; I'm the guy who wrote you about it yesterday. I'm sure you could a find a few people who'd be interested in ordering.

Edit: ! Endymion beats me to the punch again. Had to look-up some Disney urban myths for the folks at work. Yeah, we're pretty serious around here... :lol:

fragment

That is a good idea! I started a thread on the 8PDT switches that I will be selling. See the thread here: 8PDT Thread

Yeah I know it is goofy that this TV can't do progressive through the component input! That is why this may be a good TV to get the XRGB for, but I don't to dish out that much cash right now.

QuoteYou might as well stick with component for the consoles that can output it (XBox, PS2, Gamecube) and use SCART RGB cables to wire up an RGB connection for your other consoles that don't have ready-made component solutions. (Which is more or less everything but those three.) Do not use a "VGA box" for any console other than the Dreamcast--it will suck badly, unless it's an XRGB--and you could get results just as nice as that (maybe a little nicer) simply by rewiring your
own cables.

Wait, how do I use RGB outputs to hook up to the component input on my TV? I have searched on the web and haven't found a way to do that. Didn't think it was possible for an NTSC TV or are you saying to get an RGB monitor for the other systems?

benzaldehyde

RGB to component takes some circuitry, which incidentially can be found here. You can buy items called transcoders that do the job, but while they've been plummeting in price lately, they can still set you back some $80 or so. The XRGB-2 would upscan, not transcode, the RGB signals from your systems, which you could then plug into the VGA port. For your awesome monitor, I'd go with something along the lines of an XRGB; I got mine off eBay for around $110 (a steal for a device with an MSRP of around $200). Additionally, Lawrence trawls some up from time to time, and he's pretty fair on pricing. No transcoding will mean excellent translation of the picture to a level tou can use, and from that point you can turn on scanlines to reduce the line fill effect from upscanning (if you'd want to). That would look pretty damn sweet.

Also, you could get a Dreamcast. They have great games, are now around $20.00, and can do VGA right out the door (with a DC VGA Box, of course). The box is just a switch, really. The system does the VGA output; no mods or transcoding.

Of course, every once in a while you can find a mild-mannered RGB monitor for your older systems at your local thrift store. Just make sure it accepts analog or linear RGB signals; there are a lot of old digital monitors out there (an evolutionary dead-end in the life cycle of AV). Good luck.