RGB + component switcher?

Started by CZroe, April 13, 2004, 10:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

OK, I have one of those uber-crappy $99 Pelican System Selector Pro units with eight component, S-Video, Composite and stereo-audio inputs as well as four digital audio and RJ45 LAN inputs. If I mod all my old non-component devices for RGB output, I'd only want to buy RGB>Component converter and run RGB through the switch. Possible?

That switch is a shame. It's only saving grace would be if I could use it to effectively switch RGB. I mean, look what it did to a simple standard-def 480p game!

gIzzE

Yeah if you mod them for RGB and you put a phono/rca plug on teh end of each cable for R G B and Sync you can use it to switch, use the component in for teh RGB and the composite for teh sync. RGB is going to be interlaced so there shouldnt be a problem.

You said that you were using standard def 480p in that video, what was it? standard 480i or progressive 480p.
Looking at the picture I would say that it was running in 480p and the switcher does not have the badwidth to hadle it.
If it was running 480i than I would dump it.

Er... I have had zero problems with my Pelican switchbox. To this date the only thing I am pissed about is the fact that I didn't get a remote. [From another thread, a nearly identical switchbox marketed in Japan has one.]

I daresay if there is a problem with your image that your switchbox is fucked up. All the games I've used with it look identical when connected directly to the TV.

Endymion

Argh, that was me, forgot to log in first.

CZroe

QuoteYeah if you mod them for RGB and you put a phono/rca plug on teh end of each cable for R G B and Sync you can use it to switch, use the component in for teh RGB and the composite for teh sync. RGB is going to be interlaced so there shouldnt be a problem.

You said that you were using standard def 480p in that video, what was it? standard 480i or progressive 480p.
Looking at the picture I would say that it was running in 480p and the switcher does not have the badwidth to hadle it.
If it was running 480i than I would dump it.
Heh, along with 480i, 480p is standard def and the guys on any hi-fi forum will chew you out for suggesting anything else. ;) Even mentioning 480p and HD in the same sentance will elicit this response. So yes, it was progressive 480p. The problem was not apparant with interlaced 480i so I also attrributed it to bandwidth. The ocilliscope results on AVSforums thread on this device suggested nothing greater that 480p would be acceptable due to bandwidth limitations but I think my encounter shows that the QC [Quality Control]is so low that even 480p can be a problem. Of course, all my S-Video and composite devices work fine. Component 480i does too. I'm exchanging it because the audio keep cutting out (Requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in). I guess it has a power button for a reason ;) From now on, I'll be turning it off when I'm done! :D

CZroe

Because I will be using the component outputs for component video, I guess I'll need to eventually upgrade to a component switch with dual outputs and run one of those ton an RGB-to-Component converter. By that time I'll have to have an audio receiver because almost none of those types of switches switch audio or AV in the same switch. Can anyone recommend an RGB-to-component conversion device?