N64 RGB Mod

Started by caphynehy, April 07, 2004, 09:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caphynehy

Once I do the soldering to send the R, G, and B signals to the multi-out cables, how do I make an adapter to hook the N64 to a computer monitor? After reading about peoples' experiences with this mod, it seems like it may not be that great. Is the mod worth it? Any advice? Thanks :)  
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Richter X

Computer monitor!? I sure hope you don't mean a VGA monitor! If so, then find an old arcade monitor first.

caphynehy

Why can't I use a VGA monitor?

Endymion

You cannot use a VGA monitor because the Nintendo 64 does not create a VGA level signal.

When we discuss RGB here what we generally mean is an RGB signal at a TV-compatible sync rate, which is 15KHz.

When you use a VGA monitor you need an RGB signal that syncs at 31KHz. The Dreamcast is the first and only console to do this natively. All of the other consoles RGB syncs at the same level they output for Composite and S-Video, so you have 15KHz. This is fine for Europeans who have RGB-in on their TVs, but we aren't so lucky because electronics companies decided we didn't need that years ago. This is why you need an arcade monitor or another monitor that is capable of doing RGB at 15KHz. VGA is RGB--it's just the wrong kind. Very few VGA monitors have ever been made that sync at both 15 and 31KHz so unless you have one of these (usually very old) monitors you are out of luck.

Alternatively, if you don't want to look for an RGB monitor or if you really want to use your VGA monitor, you can spring for the XRGB2+ which is reviewed elsewhere on this site. It is a box that alters 15KHz signals to 31KHz so they will be compatible with your VGA monitor. It can upscan Composite and S-Video, but doing that will look crappy; the real reason you want an XRGB2+ is to input 15KHz RGB to it, so it will upscan that to 31KHz, then you will have the best colour purity possible when using that display type.

I'd really recommend finding a 15KHz RGB monitor though. It will be the most versatile for RGB use with all of your consoles, and it really is not difficult to find a large monitor. (27" or more.) In the end the monitor that size may cost less than an XRGB2+.

caphynehy

Thanks a million for that advice. Where would you suggest I look for these kind of monitors?

Endymion

Ebay as always.

Here's a search for Sony PVM, a monitor series that does RGB very well, I have the Sony PVM 2530 and I think it's excellent with lots of inputs (including Composite and S-video), the connector it uses for RGB is the DB25 so any cable you make will have plenty of room to cram any chips or electronics you ned to use in there. By the way, the 2530 model has a 27 inch screen, I suppose because the name of it is "2530," everyone assumes it has a 25 inch screen but I have it, and I've measured it--it's 27 inches diagonal, I believe Sony's site with what little info they still have on it confirms this as well if you dig around enough.

Here's another search for the Sony GVM which is a desirable 20 inch monitor because it is a "multisync" monitor, it can work at VGA level with your computer and at 15KHz for your consoles.

Another one that's come recommended around here is the Mitsubishi Megaview in various sizes--I haven't seen this one personally but I think I remember someone mentioning it can also multisync. Some of the models are VERY large. (45 inches?)

caphynehy

RARusk

And if you don't want to get a hernia you may also want to look for the NEC MultiSync 3D (15 and 31Khz) and the Commodore 1084's (15Khz). They're smaller but they may be easier to find and get. I usually troll thrift stores here in the states to find old equipment.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

tsenzen

thanks for the great look out for rgb monitors, but do you guyz know of any monitors that accept straight (J) RGB 21-pin cables?? like in japan? I've been looking for one for a long time~! if so, is there a way I can convert, or apply an adapter that goes from the 21-pin to a specific adapter.?  I have 2 sony pvm's '21 and xrgb, with plenty of monitors to try it on :), but the thing Is I want a true RGB (15-31) monitor that accepts 21-pin. Any info please let me know..thanks

tsenzen

tsenzen.org

benzaldehyde

Actually, I'd dare say we all have adapters of some sort with which we use our monitors. Finding a Japan-RGB peritel connector in the US is possible, but very unlikely. You can get the connectors on the cheap, though (free with most RGB cables :D ). Just find the pinout of your monitor (Sony actually has a lot of old manuals in pdf on their website), and bridge the connections between the two connectors. Then, you're on your way!