Sony AV Connection cable (For LCD input)

Started by CZroe, December 08, 2003, 07:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

I scored a few official Sony AV Connection cables for the official Sony PSone LCD. The pin-out is different then the standard four-pole AV mini-plug that other manufacturer's use.

I used a three-pole stereo mini-plug to RCA cable and plugged the video wire into one of the RCA jacks and I can get video (And mono audio when I use the other), but this connector crosses multiple contacts on the inside and it's pure luck that it works at all. I only tried it after seeing people who were convinced that it was supposed to work just because it did for them!

Anyway, I was told by a guy who did this to use this but I've been told by others since then that Sony is proprietary and this is for the industry's other widely-used cable pinout. Sure enough, the RCA-to-mini adapter from my Gamecube's LCD does not work with the PSone.

matt

What on earth are you trying to do here?  It seems that, if you already have the Sony cable, you wouldn't need to make another one.

If you really want cable and don't know what the pinout is, just use a multimeter on your Sony cable and map out the points.

The cable connects TWO Sony proprietary mini-plug composite devices. It does not have RCA jacks for standard composite input. I intend to use it to connect standard composite devices. See? :)

Sony never made one for that (As if a Sony camcorder or digital camera will be all you ever need...)

matt

It'll be easy to figure out, then - just try each connection, and see what it does.  If you've already tried it with your RCA/phono cable, then you should at least know what the pins are for the video and one of the audio channels.

CZroe

Well, it looks like it is a straight cable and it actually colors the internal wires yellow, white and red. Perfect!

the picture quality with an AV cable like that is bad, and slightly red if i remember right from when i tried it using my xboxes AV out.

KeRbDoG

CZroe

Well, I've done it both ways. Of course technically it's no RGB, but I didn't see any difference what-so-ever running the PSone through the back or normally with RGB. I even connected an Intec version 2 GC LCD to the GC while simultaneously outputting composite A/V to the PSone LCD and could only see a size difference. The Intec v2 LCD is VASTLY superior to the first-gen. It looks like a larger official Sony LCD in terms of quality! I would swear it was RGB if I didn't know better.

fragment

when I used to have my PS1 LCD, I just used a mini jack to RCA cable with female RCA ends. It worked just fine but only gave me mono audio, not that it made much of a difference anyway.  

CZroe

Quotewhen I used to have my PS1 LCD, I just used a mini jack to RCA cable with female RCA ends. It worked just fine but only gave me mono audio, not that it made much of a difference anyway.
Yeah, those are supposed to be for stereo-headphones-to-stereo RCA jacks :)
Three-pole vs. Four-pole
Somehow works, but there's a clear disadvantage.

fragment

fragment

QuoteI scored a few official Sony AV Connection cables for the official Sony PSone LCD. The pin-out is different then the standard four-pole AV mini-plug that other manufacturer's use.

I used a three-pole stereo mini-plug to RCA cable and plugged the video wire into one of the RCA jacks and I can get video (And mono audio when I use the other), but this connector crosses multiple contacts on the inside and it's pure luck that it works at all. I only tried it after seeing people who were convinced that it was supposed to work just because it did for them!

Anyway, I was told by a guy who did this to use this but I've been told by others since then that Sony is proprietary and this is for the industry's other widely-used cable pinout. Sure enough, the RCA-to-mini adapter from my Gamecube's LCD does not work with the PSone.
why do you say that it is pure luck that it works????  

CZroe

Because four poles do not line up with three poles. Only one audio channel makes a connection (Or both happen to cross the same pole). I mean, what if composite video and audio were crossed? VERY LOUD BUZZ!

What you show would work... Without luck ;) It also would not be mono-audio. :D Good thing the Sony LCDs pinout isn't proprietary after all like the Intec LCD turned out to be.