RGB Lcd screen

Started by Lizard2033, November 10, 2003, 03:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard2033

Any one know where I can get a 4" to 5" Lcd screen that accepts RGB in for a reasonable cost?

Tom61

If you're not put off by soldering, anywhere that sells PSOne LCD screens. Most third party ones will take RGB with little or no modification, and the Sony PSOne screen is RGB only. The third party ones are fairly cheap, and for it's size, the Sony one isn't too badly priced.

Scared0o0Rabbit

What about one that will accept a vga signal?

Feeling Scared? ^_~

NFG

If it takes a VGA signal you've just left the realm of 'reasonable cost'.  The problem with LCDs is they're only cheap when they suck.  If you want to use it for gaming you need a super-fast refresh and those only come on newer models, and they're not cheap.

Vertigo

Yup, otherwise you're looking at a blur-fest more eye-killing than the original DMG GameBoy.

Scared0o0Rabbit

It's actually for a car pc, not gaming, I just want to be able to read the text on the screen and test doesn't look so hot on composite video/s-video when used with a pc  :D  

Feeling Scared? ^_~

CZroe

Circuit City has had the official Sony LCD for $69.96 nearly all year and Best Buy's official Sony AV Connection Cables ring up for $0.01. Deal originally posted here. Most stores have been permanently sold out, but look around and you may still find them.

Oh, and the official Sony LCD is NOT RGB "only" because it accepts AV with the cable (Proprietary Sony cable though with no RCA jacks) [Actually, not proprietary. It's a straight cable and the internal wires are yellow, red and white]

Tom61

QuoteOh, and the official Sony LCD is NOT RGB only because it accepts AV with the cable (Proprietary Sony cable tough with no RCA jacks)

Yeah, I forgot about that. It doesn't take it via the PSOne connector though, and I think that's what I was thinking about.

CZroe

Well, once you know the pin-out of the A/V port on the back it should be easy to add to the PS Multi-Out connector if that's important. Problem is that the LCD automatically switches to composite input if anything is detected so after doing that you will never be able to use it as an RGB PSone display without circumventing the Multi-Out port ;)