WTB: X68000 XVI setup [be gentle]

Started by pixeljunkie, May 31, 2011, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

admitted noob here, ready to take the plunge and get a full x68k setup [reconditioned power supply, full functional, etc].

I've been eyeballing a few on YAJ, but wanted to see if anyone here had one they might be ready to let go of? I'm in the U.S.

Not in need of a monitor... just system, keyboard, mouse

eidis

No shortcuts here Bro. You will just have to buy one from YAJ. Please be aware that 2MB is a must. Otherwise there is not much fun.

Best of luck !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: eidis on May 31, 2011, 02:14:41 AM
No shortcuts here Bro. You will just have to buy one from YAJ. Please be aware that 2MB is a must. Otherwise there is not much fun.

Best of luck !
Eidis

I figured as much, but thought it best to at least throw a thread up just in case. Off to YAJ I go! Thanks

netwalka

Hi, PJ.

IMHO,

Super
XVI
COMPACT XVI

is recommended.

These have SCSI interface and 2MB memory on board.

Not much additional peripherals are needed. You may get it connected to IDE-TO-SCSI bridge and games go fine.

Usually Big-tower ( so called Manhattan shape...) model usually have problem  in their PSU
and Compact model have capacitor problem in their mainboard. (PSU is stronger than early big-tower model...)

Big-tower's PSU fix is a bit complicated and hard to find proper new part, but you may have chance to replace it to ATX or ITX PSU.
And Compact model's capacitor problem is a little bit simpler to fix than that of PSU.

I got 2 Compact model from YAJ.
One has problem with the sound and FDD and after replace all of caps on the mobo, it is perfect now. I didn't touch PSU yet.
Other have small sound volume but I can manage to use it without a big problem.

And another big tower XVI had PSU problem and I replaced it with ITX PSU (80W).  No other problem about sound or video outputs or anything.

Good luck with your hunting in the jungle-YAJ. ;)

pixeljunkie

Quote from: netwalka on May 31, 2011, 02:16:49 PM
Hi, PJ.

IMHO,

Super
XVI
COMPACT XVI

is recommended.

These have SCSI interface and 2MB memory on board.

Not much additional peripherals are needed. You may get it connected to IDE-TO-SCSI bridge and games go fine.

Usually Big-tower ( so called Manhattan shape...) model usually have problem  in their PSU
and Compact model have capacitor problem in their mainboard. (PSU is stronger than early big-tower model...)

Big-tower's PSU fix is a bit complicated and hard to find proper new part, but you may have chance to replace it to ATX or ITX PSU.
And Compact model's capacitor problem is a little bit simpler to fix than that of PSU.

I got 2 Compact model from YAJ.
One has problem with the sound and FDD and after replace all of caps on the mobo, it is perfect now. I didn't touch PSU yet.
Other have small sound volume but I can manage to use it without a big problem.

And another big tower XVI had PSU problem and I replaced it with ITX PSU (80W).  No other problem about sound or video outputs or anything.

Good luck with your hunting in the jungle-YAJ. ;)

cool, thanks for the tips.

I'm probably going to be researching and shopping for awhile...so if any one is like "oh crapz I must pay le rent!", etc. I will be ready to buy...PM's me

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.