Re: Installing games to Hard Drive

Started by NFG, May 13, 2011, 12:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I haven't had time to try out any of the amazing work you guys are doing, but I did have a thought: would a local storage facility be of value?  We could store the patches and files here, rather than relying on public file sharing sites which expire, have timers, download limits etc.

Thoughts?

caius

Quote from: Lawrence on May 13, 2011, 12:58:29 PM
I haven't had time to try out any of the amazing work you guys are doing, but I did have a thought: would a local storage facility be of value?  We could store the patches and files here, rather than relying on public file sharing sites which expire, have timers, download limits etc.

Thoughts?

Yes, you are right.Maybe we can use a private FTP like other forums do?

eidis

IMHO it would be best if that resource was accessible as web page, FTP could be used for uploading files. The main categories could be:

Game compilations
Music compilations
PC Tools
Tutorials
Mirror of that awesome Japanese FTP with drivers, file commanders, etc (This place is a must to mirror.)
Pictures and Videos of our beloved X68000
Interviews with famous Japanese people, maybe even original hardware developers. (With this I mean something similar to www.c64.com)

It would be awesome if the sites name was something like www.x68000.com, org, net or something similar. The intro screen featured a flash animation with original X68000 booting from floppy and menu which appeared on the monitor.

I think I got carried away, bet it would definitely would be very cool to have something like that. A resource with lots of knowledge, responsible forum members and the most important feature of them all - fun.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

NFG

OK, I'm on this one.  I'm going to put together a nice web-based front end for the FTP, and hopefully find a couple of admins to help manage it.

I've got essentially unlimited space and bandwidth (even if the server's on a slow connection until Japan sorts out their power situation) so we can hopefully make a useful resource. 

Any admin volunteers?

eidis

What are the responsibilities ? Can I apply ? ;)

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Quote from: Lawrence on May 14, 2011, 05:49:45 PM
OK, I'm on this one.  I'm going to put together a nice web-based front end for the FTP, and hopefully find a couple of admins to help manage it.

I've got essentially unlimited space and bandwidth (even if the server's on a slow connection until Japan sorts out their power situation) so we can hopefully make a useful resource. 

Any admin volunteers?

Is it time consumpting?Can you explain better the role?

kendrick

For the record, the only reason I'm not jumping up to volunteer right away is because I don't have any x68000 expertise to contribute. I get the feeling that this job requires some knowledge of the technology, in order to manage and to organize the files correctly. Also, I already administer four websites in some capacity, so adding a fifth requires cultivating some alcoholism. :)

NFG

Haha, Kendrick.  No more duties for you.  =D

I'm evaluating a few web front-ends for the FTP but they mostly seem to be rubbish.  If the admins are FTP-literate, perhaps there's no need?

kendrick

You look into any of the Drupal front-ends for file management? They're a pain to set up, but once you get them how you want them they don't generally require a lot of maintenance.

Any reason there can't be shell access for whoever runs the file archive? it would make sense to be able to move files around and create directories using standard command line instructions and regular expressions, rather than having to click and click and click a million times.

NFG

Well, FTP access accomplishes that already, right?  I was just trying to make it simpler.  If our first admin(s)  can handle FTP, then we're already done here.  And if they want to type his FTP commands I'm not gonna stop 'em.  ;)

As for the admin's role, basically it's to add, update and maintain the files and link to 'em as appropriate.

eidis

Anyone who calls himself an Admin knows how to manage FTP and and probably active directory as well ;)

Eidis