Newbie with a XVI Compact

Started by Splashman, December 08, 2010, 03:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splashman

So, I got me a shiny new XVI Compact from eBay, tested by the seller and ready to run. I'm excited to try it out, but first I need some preparation questions answered.

I've read that X68000 specifically needs 100V, even though the mains in Japan run on 100-110V. Since I live in PAL-land, I use a 230V to 110V stepdown converter for my imported machines. I need to know if my converter could hurt the XVI's power supply, or if it's safe to use.

Then I have a few questions about SCSI, since I've never worked with those before:

• Would a XVI be able to boot from a modern SCSI HDD (this Ultra3 drive, for example), or are there any compatibility issues such as disk size limits and bus speeds?
    Actually, this question doesn't have to be Sharp specific, but also relates to Ataris, NeXT and any older computers.
  • If it can, what would be a good way to prepare the drive with the X68000 games image on a Windows machine?
  • Does it matter if the drive is connected internally or externally?
  • Which type of SCSI cable is needed for the XVI connector?

That should do it for starters.
Thanks in advance.

NFG

The power supply, unless it's been reconditioned, is going to fry in short order no matter what you do.  I would say you're probably safe with 110V 'cause all my other Japanese systems are, but every single X68000 I've ever owned has fried the PSU within two days of turning it on for the first time.  So, if you get it and it dies, it's probably nothing to do with the power.  =)

I leave your SCSI questions to Eidis.  =)

Splashman

Quote from: Lawrence on December 08, 2010, 06:53:03 AM
The power supply, unless it's been reconditioned, is going to fry in short order no matter what you do.  I would say you're probably safe with 110V 'cause all my other Japanese systems are, but every single X68000 I've ever owned has fried the PSU within two days of turning it on for the first time.  So, if you get it and it dies, it's probably nothing to do with the power.  =)
Allright, so X64000 PSUs are destined to fail no matter what. ^^'
Can the rest of the hardware get damaged in any way if the faulty PSU fries during a test run?

In any case, time to prepare an ATX mod.

eidis

Hi !

Your X68000 could work with SCSI-1 drives. I don't recommend to use them because they are small and extremely loud. The best solution would be to add a CF card to your system. Thus you will need to purchase SCSI to IDE adapter. As of this day the know compatible adapters are:

I-O Data IDSC21-E
Yamaha V769970
Acard AEC-7720U

Here is a link to my tutorial:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

If i'm not mistaking, you won't need to install the SXSI driver. Just restore the image to CF card and that should do it.

P.S. Please don't butcher you X68000 with ATX PSU. Just replace all capacitors on the PSU and you should be fine.

Best of luck and keep us posted,
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

papa_november

Compact PSUs are far less likely to die than the PSUs in the older units.

You can check for leaky capacitors if you're paranoid, but they're noticeably more reliable.