KVM switch (with db9 female) - possible to use the db9 ports for audio?

Started by eastbayarb, February 13, 2009, 08:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastbayarb

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I want to buy a KVM switch (6-port) for all my game systems.  Rather than get a separate VGA switcher and Stereo switcher, I want to have it all in one unit (ones with built in VGA + Stereo are way too expensive) The one in particular I have in mind has VGA, ps/2, and db9 serial (female) ports. Is it possible to use the db9 female ports for audio? Like say, If I create an adaptor for each db9 port that has db9 male on one end, and L/R (white and red) female RCA jacks?

thanks!

kendrick

Ben Heckendorn once published a similar switcher mod using some sort of data gate IC to route audio. The short story is, it's not likely a hard wire switching operation, since a KVM traditionally sends voltage and a fake signal over the link to make the mouse think that a computer is connected all the time (and to make the computer/s believe that a mouse is connected all the time.) It's not just flipping over all nine contacts like a multiple-pole toggle or anything. But you won't know for sure unless you open the thing up, follow the traces and spec out the chip.

undamned

I'm thinking it probably uses a logical buffer rather than an analog signal buffer for the Serial port and PS/2 ports.  If you have nothing against the older "switch" style boxes, I have a 6 channel DB25 box which uses dry contacts rather than electronic buffers and such, so it is truly a passive device which can send through analog signals.  I'd recommend you get one of those ;D
-ud
"Don't need to ask my name to figure out how cool I am."

eastbayarb

Quote from: undamned on February 21, 2009, 09:41:46 AM
I'm thinking it probably uses a logical buffer rather than an analog signal buffer for the Serial port and PS/2 ports.  If you have nothing against the older "switch" style boxes, I have a 6 channel DB25 box which uses dry contacts rather than electronic buffers and such, so it is truly a passive device which can send through analog signals.  I'd recommend you get one of those ;D
-ud

where did you get it? do you know the model number?