Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

MIDI and 8MB card

Started by aje_fr, September 21, 2020, 05:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectreman

Quote from: rezb1t on April 20, 2024, 01:33:27 PM
Quote from: spectreman on April 20, 2024, 04:03:39 AMHI,
I would like to know if this card produced by aje_fr also works well on X68000 XVI with CPU set at 16MHz.
Is the memory detected correctly?
Does the MIDI part have a clean sound?

Unfortunately I purchased the model called Etarikashikoshi on the arananet.net site, which does not work at 16MHz, it only works with 10MHz systems.
I can confirm that it works on XVI systems, my system can overclock to 24mhz and the aje_fr board works fine.

It does currently have a bug where After Burner MIDI files have too fast tempo, but I've tested many other games and this is the only one I found with an issue.

I also let aje_fr know about this bug so hopefully one day it can be fixed
I doubt it can be fixed on this version, a hardware overhaul will be needed.
Can you set the CPU to 10 MHz and see if you have any beneficial effect?
Another test is to turn off memory expansion using the rotary switch. After Burner II should also launch with 2 MB of base memory.
With the dedicated MIDI rotary switch, you can change the IRQ addresses in 5 positions, you should easily reach them without removing the card.
You've probably already done these tests.

rezb1t

Quote from: spectreman on April 20, 2024, 08:59:49 PM
Quote from: rezb1t on April 20, 2024, 01:33:27 PM
Quote from: spectreman on April 20, 2024, 04:03:39 AMHI,
I would like to know if this card produced by aje_fr also works well on X68000 XVI with CPU set at 16MHz.
Is the memory detected correctly?
Does the MIDI part have a clean sound?

Unfortunately I purchased the model called Etarikashikoshi on the arananet.net site, which does not work at 16MHz, it only works with 10MHz systems.
I can confirm that it works on XVI systems, my system can overclock to 24mhz and the aje_fr board works fine.

It does currently have a bug where After Burner MIDI files have too fast tempo, but I've tested many other games and this is the only one I found with an issue.

I also let aje_fr know about this bug so hopefully one day it can be fixed
I doubt it can be fixed on this version, a hardware overhaul will be needed.
Can you set the CPU to 10 MHz and see if you have any beneficial effect?
Another test is to turn off memory expansion using the rotary switch. After Burner II should also launch with 2 MB of base memory.
With the dedicated MIDI rotary switch, you can change the IRQ addresses in 5 positions, you should easily reach them without removing the card.
You've probably already done these tests.
Yep I tried all IRQ settings and also disabling ram, also 10mhz mode with no changes unfortunately.

bobrocks95

Just purchased an X68000 to refurb and posting here just to show interest and track if there will be another run of these in the future.  Hoping to get one of these or the Etarikashikoshi board.

Thanks!

armitage

Quote from: bobrocks95 on April 21, 2024, 02:14:53 PMJust purchased an X68000 to refurb and posting here just to show interest and track if there will be another run of these in the future.  Hoping to get one of these or the Etarikashikoshi board.

Thanks!

Maybe you can find an XVI owner who wants to sell theirs :D

bobrocks95

Quote from: armitage on April 22, 2024, 12:27:49 AM
Quote from: bobrocks95 on April 21, 2024, 02:14:53 PMJust purchased an X68000 to refurb and posting here just to show interest and track if there will be another run of these in the future.  Hoping to get one of these or the Etarikashikoshi board.

Thanks!

Maybe you can find an XVI owner who wants to sell theirs :D

That's fair!  I don't think I'll get into overclocking such old hardware (though I did see this odd CPU replacement board on Yahoo Japan Auctions that intrigued me) so I'd certainly buy one at cost if there are any disappointed XVI users with one!