Supergun supernova + 4-slot w/unibios - RGB out not working

Started by eastbayarb, March 05, 2008, 05:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastbayarb

I just got a supergun supernova and 4-slot w/unibios. All works great but RGB output isn't working on my monitor (Sony PVM-2530). The guy on ebay swore to me that the pinout on the supergun supernova was the same as a Neo Geo AES (I used to have a Neo Geo AES system and used RGB on my monitor with no problem), but I can't get it to work.

any ideas?

NFG

Without going in and checking the pinout (easy to do) there's nothing any of us can do to help with this...

If the pinout IS what the seller promised, then the reasons for failure are limited to the cable or monitor.  Have you used this monitor with RGB consoles before?  Did you make the cable, and are you certain it's correct?  Could the cable have a fault?

eastbayarb

As I stated before in my first message, the seller told me that the RGB out is the same as a Neo Geo AES and that I have used a Neo Geo AES system with my Sony PVM-2530 monitor with no problem (the same cable, which I didn't make, also worked fine with a Sega Genesis model 1 unit). The monitor I am using has a cable that is wired for a commodore 1084 monitor and I have used it with jaguar, saturn, SNES, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis 2/32x, TG-16, playstation 1 and 2 with no problems.

I did find pinouts for the Supernova here:

http://arcade4home.com/

not being tech savy at all, I really don't know what to make of this as far is the incompatibilities.

kendrick

The pinout numbering on the page you cite is the reverse of the Neo pinout, but that might be because it references the socket rather than the plug. There are two lines there for luma and chroma, and I'd try hooking that up to a monitor that takes S-video to see if the console is producing any video output at all. Assuming that your cable works with a Neo properly, then the fault isn't with any component outside of the Supernova. If you can tap the internal lines and try getting video that way, that might help you diagnose if the socket is bad too.

eastbayarb

eastbayarb

NeWmAn

Pin #3 on the Supernova is Chroma (according to the page you linked), Pin #3 of NEO is composite video.
If the monitor cable is wired for NEO pinout then it expects to get sync on pin #3 while instead is on (Supernova's) pin #1.

eastbayarb

Quote from: ニユ-マン on March 07, 2008, 06:52:25 AM
Pin #3 on the Supernova is Chroma (according to the page you linked), Pin #3 of NEO is composite video.
If the monitor cable is wired for NEO pinout then it expects to get sync on pin #3 while instead is on (Supernova's) pin #1.

so should i rewire...? if so what?

NeWmAn

Whoops, sorry I've just noticed that both the pinouts (S.nova and NEO) have separate sync on pin #7.

eastbayarb

i guess at this point i should just make my own cable using the supernova and commodore 1084 pinouts huh (i do have a n 8pin DIN connector, db9 connector, and cable). Will wire that up soon and report the results.

eastbayarb

Well i made a 8pin DIN to db9/1084 cable according to the supernova pinouts but it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas what to do? Perhaps try to make a cable with the wires connected straight on the JAMMA pins?

NeWmAn

Could you post the pinout of your NEO to PVM-2530 cable (the one that used to work)?
I'm not asking for the pinouts you already posted, I would like if you could remove both connectors shells from the cable and describe each cable where it goes.

eastbayarb

Well the Neo Geo/SMS/Genesis1 connector (8pin DIN) has the 8-pin DIN connector that goes to the system on one end, and the other end has that weird 15-pin connector on the other end.

the included diagram shows the Neo Geo/SMS/Genesis1 8-pin DIN to 15-pin connectors. The 15-pin connector is then connected to a 15-pin to db9/1084 cable connected to the Sony PVM

eastbayarb

*UPDATE*

I just got a scart cable meant for genesis1/master system cable from ebay. With the scart to db9/1084 adaptor my supernova works great with my son.y pvm-2530 monitor.
I just don't know why it won't work with my nec xm29 multisync monitor. picture is scrabled badly

NeWmAn

Sorry, I hadn't noticed you updated your previous message with the pinouts  :-[
Anyway I've checked and compared yours with the correct pinouts and it turns out that I was right, the cable you had used takes sync from pin#3 (composite video) so it wouldn't have worked on your Supernova.

eastbayarb

Quote from: ニユ-マン on March 15, 2008, 10:15:07 PM
Sorry, I hadn't noticed you updated your previous message with the pinouts  :-[
Anyway I've checked and compared yours with the correct pinouts and it turns out that I was right, the cable you had used takes sync from pin#3 (composite video) so it wouldn't have worked on your Supernova.

what pin should it take sync from?

NeWmAn

I had already written it a few messages ago:
QuotePin #3 on the Supernova is Chroma (according to the page you linked), Pin #3 of NEO is composite video.

That if you use the "official" pin numbering, If you instead keep the gif you posted as reference, you should move the white wire (on the din plug) from pin 1 to pin 6.

Please note that I'm only suggesting this solution based on the info you gave, I would like to have a confirmation if this is correct, please.
BTW. Why don't you check how it's wired your working cable and copy it?

eastbayarb

Quote from: ニユ-マン on May 31, 2008, 06:59:53 AM
I had already written it a few messages ago:
QuotePin #3 on the Supernova is Chroma (according to the page you linked), Pin #3 of NEO is composite video.

That if you use the "official" pin numbering, If you instead keep the gif you posted as reference, you should move the white wire (on the din plug) from pin 1 to pin 6.

Please note that I'm only suggesting this solution based on the info you gave, I would like to have a confirmation if this is correct, please.
BTW. Why don't you check how it's wired your working cable and copy it?

wierd how it worked with the genesis SCART cable (with scart to db9 then db9 to db15, then db15 to vga adaptor) but not the genesis to DB15 (then db15 to vga) cable...I can't seem to get it (or any system) to work at all with my
Mitsubishi XC 3730-C (has 5-bnc to VGA cable) via my SCART setup.

NeWmAn

Quote from: eastbayarb on May 31, 2008, 07:05:13 AM
wierd how it worked with the genesis SCART cable (with scart to db9 then db9 to db15, then db15 to vga adaptor) but not the genesis to DB15 (then db15 to vga) cable...

???  I give up!  I don't understand what you done and what you need ???

I can't seem to get it (or any system) to work at all with my
Mitsubishi XC 3730-C (has 5-bnc to VGA cable) via my SCART setup.

How are you going from SCART to BNC? Are you using a circuit with LM1881 to generate the VGA sync signals?

eastbayarb

[/quote]

How are you going from SCART to BNC? Are you using a circuit with LM1881 to generate the VGA sync signals?
[/quote]

I have a DB15 (is labeled SYNC and i think has the LM1881) to VGA cable. That is connected to a VGA to BNC cable.

Now I also have a SCART to DB9 cable, that is connected to a DB9 to DB15 (which is also labeled SYNC) cable

NeWmAn

Quote from: eastbayarb on May 31, 2008, 09:15:06 AM
I have a DB15 (is labeled SYNC and i think has the LM1881) to VGA cable.

Why don't you make sure that it really has the LM1881 circuit inside?

That is connected to a VGA to BNC cable.

Now I also have a SCART to DB9 cable, that is connected to a DB9 to DB15 (which is also labeled SYNC) cable

Just my 2c: You have a string of cables that have been built to carry the RGB, Sync and probably audio too, but the LM1881 needs to get power somewhere and IMHO you should check that.