Troublesome XVI on my hands... PSU on it's way out?

Started by H68k, November 01, 2013, 07:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H68k

Hello!

After going through the trouble of trying to get an X68000... I'm now the proud owner of a X68k XVI that has a few issues. one of the major ones, being the PSU could be on it's way out?

The XVI will run for around 25/30 minutes... of playing games or just sitting at the Human68k command prompt before it dies and ether the 16 or 10 MHz led's go red, though very dim.

So what's going on here? is it's PSU on it's last lag? or is something wrong on the IO board or the motherboard?

I'm also using a 230V to 100V wall brick sized step down transformer to power the machine. could the XVI require more wattage than it can supply, and cause the voltage adaptor to shut off or cut it's output instead?

caius

Hi, if you look at the bottom of your XVI you should see stamped  the maximum consumption, I presume it's around 90W so compare it with the maximum rating of your stepdown converter.

H68k

The label on the XVI states a minimum of consumption of 41 watts and a maximum of 99 watts.

The stepdown adapter i brought is a generic chinese made one and doe's not state the maximum wattage it can supply on it's label...

When i get my next pay check, i'll try and get a proper step down transformer with a higher wattage ratting and see if that remedy's the problem then.

BlueBMW

If the power supply has never been serviced, its likely on its way out anyways.  You should probably fix it up!

H68k

Well... just to shoot my curiosity.. i spent some time this morning taking the power supply out of my XVI, after managing to free the power supply pcb from it's case...

I could not find anything obversely wrong with it (no leaking capacitors, blown diodes, burned transistors or resistors etc) though on the bottom side of the pcb has some suspect solider work and dried patch's of flux left under some of the capacitors... so at some point in this machines life, some of the cap's have been replaced it seams.

If the XVI was drawing wattage under what my voltage adapter could supply... could it be bad joints are causing it to die after a while or running? or something else at play with it's power supply?