Nasty Monitor Problem

Started by Richter X, June 18, 2004, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter X

My HP Pavilion MX70 has been acting wierd for about a month now. First, the black levels started to go. Second, the screen has a bluish tint that cannot be undone by adjusting the settings, or even in the Service Menu. Third, random parts of the screen start jiggling.  Fourth, a red patch of tint has recently appeared on the lower-right corner of the screen. I've checked all sorts of things, the cables are fine. In fact, the blue tint is still there even if I unplug the cable from the system.

Has my monitor seen its last days? Or is there still hope?

On another wierd note. We bought a KDS XF-7B flatscreen monitor to replace the MX70. After about 5 minutes of use it became very bright and blurry. Is there a connection between the two monitors messing up, or was it just a coincidence? They both used the same surge protector.

Endymion

I've had monitors with similar problems.

Deep in the bowels of your monitor (just... somewhere inside there, you know) there is a joint or joint that is cold-soldered. This is an improper soldering point whereby the contacts that were soldered were not properly heated befor the solder was applied. The solder welded to the contacts but did not bond completely. After a period of time and use, the metal expands as electricity flows through it during use and contracts when it is switched off at the end of the day, and eventually the solid contact with the solder is lost.

If you have a stellar support job with the manufacturer you might be able to get it replaced, but it is probably not worth bothering with. As for the other monitor, if there is a problem with the power source then it should be a lot more obvious--like with a wobbling picture, static, lines aross the screen, etc.

Richter X

The strange problem with the flatscreen was that it was only blurry in the center, but not on the sides.

Martin

QuoteMy HP Pavilion MX70 has been acting wierd for about a month now. First, the black levels started to go. Second, the screen has a bluish tint that cannot be undone by adjusting the settings, or even in the Service Menu. Third, random parts of the screen start jiggling.  Fourth, a red patch of tint has recently appeared on the lower-right corner of the screen. I've checked all sorts of things, the cables are fine. In fact, the blue tint is still there even if I unplug the cable from the system.

Has my monitor seen its last days? Or is there still hope?

On another wierd note. We bought a KDS XF-7B flatscreen monitor to replace the MX70. After about 5 minutes of use it became very bright and blurry. Is there a connection between the two monitors messing up, or was it just a coincidence? They both used the same surge protector.
ung.. i have a hppavilion monitor as well and the exact same frigging thing happened... I left it switched off for months and months.. I switched it on again and the problem was gone... for about 5 minutes... then it came back :angry:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Richter X

That's very wierd. My English teacher's HP Pavilion M70 monitor has an uncontrollable red tint on it. Also, before my monitor got stuck blue, it was constantly changing between the normal color and the blue tint.

Martin

Same happened with mine.
I noticed the problem got worse the more I used the monitor.
Sue Hp :D
actually... I think it should be illiegal... for them to do that with their display units.
My HP Pavilion kept flickering between normal and blue... then the blue "flickers" became long 5min periods of blue, then prograssing to 10 etc untill it went blue.. and stayed that way :angry:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Endymion

These are all classic cold solder joint symptoms. The reason the problem comes and goes is because the joint is loose. As the monitor warms up th metal expands and may make better contact, the problem might go away then--and come back as you bump the table or something. This is a common problem with older monitors that were supplied with computers, in my experience the manufacturer doesn't warranty this stuff very well. It is so cheap to just buy another monitor that is probably the best way to go--if you can actually complain loudly enough to get the manufacturer to take care of it they will just supply you another one anyway, rather than fixing what you have.

Then again if you really want to show off your leet skills, you could open it up and look for the joint to solder properly, but I'd be prepared to have a non-working monitor (or a zapped ass) first, if I were you. ;)

i had an mx70 that did that :D i fixed it by bashing it each time it did it i ended up bashing it quite a lot come to think of it

Darklegion

QuoteThat's very wierd. My English teacher's HP Pavilion M70 monitor has an uncontrollable red tint on it. Also, before my monitor got stuck blue, it was constantly changing between the normal color and the blue tint.

If i remember right that is a common problem on some HP monitors.....check the transistors on the CRT neckboard(careful....read up on safety first.) Sometimes these go open or shirt circuit(proabbly the latter) and cause the picture to go a certain colour...if one of the transistors tests bad,replace all three of them as the others will likely die in the future.