Are Gamecube VGA cables for real or are they fakes

Started by giantgonzolez, March 20, 2004, 11:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantgonzolez

I know that the Gamecube "VGA BOXES" are fakes because they're just "upscan converters"/deinterlacers.
I was wondering if the Gamecube VGA cables that are sold online are TRUE Vga cables or if they're just upscan converters.
Do the Gamecube VGA cables give you TRUE VGA on progressive scan Gamecube games the way the Dreamcast did, or do they give you FAKE/Upscanned VGA?
BTW, these are the kind of cables I'm talking about, are they real or fake?
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm

NFG

It's real VGA, on games that support it (And FYI there are NO progressive/VGA PAL games).  

Jopapa

QuoteIt's real VGA, on games that support it (And FYI there are NO progressive/VGA PAL games).
And even then, there's only a few progressive NTSC games, and they're all (correct me if I'm wrong) 480p I believe. Not the 720p or 1080i that many XBox games support.

benzaldehyde

That's true; a handful of games support only 480p on the Gamecube. Just about every XBox game supports at least 480p, with a few 720p and, like, three 1080i games. It seems they followed Sega's lead somewhat, except for the fact that they...

DISABLED THE VGA OUTPUT!

Grrr... :angry:

;) :P

NFG

Quotethere's only a few progressive NTSC games
Strangely I have only one non-progressive game (Monkey Ball) for GC, the rest are progressive capable, including:

PN03
Shikigami 2
Star SOldier, Bonk + Adventure Island
Luigi's Mansion
Ikaruga
Metroid
Eternal Darkness

Sure, they only do 480p, but that's VGA resolution.  I don't care about anything higher than that; it's a bonus but not required.

SBKallstars

Go here for the full list of progressive/vga games :)
Seems to be a few GC ones :)

http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

benzaldehyde

Yeah, but it seems whenever I look at a game released cross-platform for the Gamecube, it doesn't have progressive scan support. This has started changing lately; perhaps the dearth exists only in my mind. Strangely enough, Nintendo comes through as a big supporter of the format. Most of my games are by Nintendo, and all have 480p. God bless 'em for it.

Endymion

I have read that certain video modes the GameCube uses do not allow the progressive function. (i.e. it isn't that they wanted the game to be interlaced, but they wanted that video mode for some feature or occurrence, and it's a mode that is unable to do progressive.) For instance this was the reason Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero could not use progressive. Interlaced games really only become a problem with my eyes if I have the perfect display (RGB/Component) and it's a fast action game with lots of movement, so if they had to go interlaced for anything, Resident Evil would be okay by me. Not sure how this affects the new Resident Evil 4, I am pretty sure I read it will use a progressive broadcast.

wing

QuoteAt the same time the new pricing goes into effect on April 1, Nintendo will also be removing the digital AV output on future models of the GameCube. A GameCube model with the digital AV output will still be available as a special package bundled with the connector, but details on its price and release schedule remain unclear. One additional change will involve the fact that the circular nameplate on the top of the GameCube console will no longer be detachable from the unit.
full article

QuoteNintendo has determined that less than 1% of GameCube users have employed the output jack being removed in the new model.

full article

Hope this does not translate into less 'progressive' software..

NFG

I don't think we can expect the few software companies still producing GC games to support a discontinued peripheral, but of course a few will.

That said, last I heard Nintendo hasn't confirmed the removal of the digital port...  Wouldn't surprise me tho.

benzaldehyde

Perhaps they wouldn't have had the gumption if Nintendo had pushed VGA output as Sega did with the Dreamcast. That was my first exposure to RGB, and what led me here to learn more of it. We could've won more converts, and Nintendo would've given its users an accessible, affordable 480p option. Oh, well...

zhao

QuoteAt the same time the new pricing goes into effect on April 1, Nintendo will also be removing the digital AV output on future models of the GameCube. A GameCube model with the digital AV output will still be available as a special package bundled with the connector, but details on its price and release schedule remain unclear. One additional change will involve the fact that the circular nameplate on the top of the GameCube console will no longer be detachable from the unit.
full article

QuoteNintendo has determined that less than 1% of GameCube users have employed the output jack being removed in the new model.

full article

Hope this does not translate into less 'progressive' software..
uhoh.....thats bad news

I wanted more progressive scan support.....not less

Vertigo

So once again they give you a console capable of godly amounts of eye-sex yet cripple it's ability to show you what it can do in it's full glory. If it isn't being too lazy to do 3 pcb traces in order to get the n64 to output RGB as standard, it's taking away progressive support from the Gamecube.
STUPID NINTENDO.
I wonder what they'll do with the next machine though. Do you think they'll try to integrate the digital signals into the multi-out, bother to make it at least RGB-capable, or just leave it altogether while Microsoft and Sony appeal to those with good TVs?

Dr.Wily

I am french and I have a PAL NGC. With componment cable (or D-Terminal) PAL game works in 576p when I turn the game in 50 Hz and 480p when I turn the game in 60 hz.

PAL GC support progressive scan on plasma screen, and RGB output with the AV out plug.
@+

Dr.Wily

Simm's Club - French LAN Gaming (PC & Consoles) : http://www.asso-sc.com

Richter X

QuotePAL GC support progressive scan and RGV output with the AV out plug.
And that's rumored to happen to the new version NTSC cube as well. Instead of wasting money on the rarely used Digital A/V port, they say Nintendo will integrate RGB/VGA/YPrPB support into the old Analog A/V port instead along with a new DAC-less component-video cable. If that happens, getting RGB/VGA from the Gamecube would be much cheaper than it is now. Plus you'd only have to use one cable for RGB/YPrPb video and RCA audio.

Dr.Wily

Yes, but PAL GC is realy the best version of this machine, RGV out and digital out. No mod.  :P  
@+

Dr.Wily

Simm's Club - French LAN Gaming (PC & Consoles) : http://www.asso-sc.com

Kouske

Do you guys know witch version of the US GC that is :P

Vidgamer

QuoteYeah, but it seems whenever I look at a game released cross-platform for the Gamecube, it doesn't have progressive scan support. This has started changing lately; ....
Most of my GC games support progressive.  I don't know how many are cross-platform, but R:Racing Evolution and Burnout 2 are on multiple platforms, and are progressive.  Out of a dozen games, I probably have 2 that are not.  But I'm sure it depends on each individual game.  I have heard that Beyond Good and Evil is not progressive, which is the main thing stopping me.  (Otherwise, it's dscaler time........)

Guest_KeepGood

Whats the deal with the VGA output on a Gamecube.  When I search around for a VGA cable for my cube, everything I find says that the cable is for US and Jap GC's.

Whats the problem with the PAL cube?

I've read through this thread and I'm still not 100% sure if my cube can output VGA or not.

Does the digital port on NTSC cubes differ from the PAL model?

I have a spare 19" Sony monitor and would love to have my cube running on it.  If the PAL cube can output a VGA signal with the use of a VGA cable, does anyone know where I can buy one?

Cheers :)