EXACTLY what I need/need to do for N64 RGB on NTSC?

Started by victusinfractus, May 01, 2011, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

victusinfractus

Hey Guys, I'm sure there are pieces of this ad nauseum all over this board.  I'm a newbie to this board, and modding my systems.  Just got back into collecting after a 7 year hiatus when I had to sell everything to help pay for college.

Picked up 2 N64s recently, and want to mod one of them to use RGB.  The standard composite cables look awful on my 42" Sanyo LCD.

I have a component input, a composite, s-video, and 3 HDMI.

1) What would get the clearest picture out of what the N64 has available on-board?

2) What EXACTLY would I need to buy/have/mod in order to get that?

I know there's all sorts of discussions about cables, different mods to the gpu, etc.  I'm super confused reading all of it and was hoping someone with some experience doing it could help me streamline it?  I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking a question that a million people may have already asked, but if someone is willing to help out, I'd appreciate it.

Like I said, just want to know exactly what I'm supposed to do to get from point A, to point B.  What mod, what cable to buy, and what converter...if I need to buy something to convert SCART to HDMI, or whatever you think is best.

Cheers!

kendrick

Welcome to GamesX. The clear method for adding RGB output to the standard A/V connector on an American N64 is shown here:

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/n64rgb.htm

Essentially, you're running three extra wires from the video chip to the spots on the A/V connector that would ordinarily provide RGB output. This allows you to use standard Nintendo cables that provide such a connection, like the ones with the appropriate SCART connector on the other end. Usually the common ground is appropriate for RGB cabling.

Unfortunately, based on the description of your television it doesn't look like you have a compatible input. S-video isn't bad, but you're really looking at an HDMI or DVI upscaler since your TV doesn't appear to accept RGB. Hope that points you in the right direction.

theclaw

Yeah many LCDs unfortunately don't accept low-res over component. If you're TV is a lucky model, direct conversion to component may work. AFAIK the simplest encoder type's sole functionality is transcoding RGB into component. Leaving the original input resolution and hz rate untouched.

imparanoic

if you have a pc vga input, you can use a very rare unit called micromsoft xrgb1/2/2plus or even 3, but these are rare and at a premium price.