PAL GameCube (and PAL playstation 2) > RGB Monitor

Started by LouisCypher, May 19, 2005, 09:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisCypher

Hi. I've had a little look around and before I shell out some money I would like to be a little safer in my purchases. As the topic title says, I would like connect my NGC and PS2 to my computer monitor. From what I can gather I can go through a XRGB 2 plus but this does work ok with PAL machines? If so, would I be better connecting to XRGB via the Japanese D-Terminal cable? Finally, what is the best way to connect the ps2 with this sort of set up?

Also where is the best place to buy a XRGB seen as I live in the U.K? I think I need to change the power adapter to make it work over here as well.

Sorry for all the questions but not all the info out there relates to PAL machines.

Endymion

PAL Gamecubes don't do progressive--for that matter nothing in PAL does progressive--so you can't go VGA with a Gamecube, the XRGB2/Plus is your only choice there. But you are not limited to that. If you have a SCART TV that accepts RGB over SCART then you just need a SCART cable for your Gamecube, same with PS2, there is no need for you to shell out the money for the XRGB2 Plus unless you specifically want to use your VGA monitor.

Yod@

QuotePAL Gamecubes don't do progressive--for that matter nothing in PAL does progressive--so you can't go VGA with a Gamecube, the XRGB2/Plus is your only choice there.
Sorry for being such a pedant, but that's not *quite* true. It's PAL GC *software* which doesn't do progressive scan/VGA - if you use NTSC software which supports prog scan on a PAL cube then it works fine. You can run NTSC games on a PAL cube either with FreeLoader, Action Replay or one of the GC modchips.

Some PS2 software also supports prog scan, but only a handful of titles. I'd recommend just using an upscanner like the XRGB2 to save you a lot of hassle with the PS2.

I'm too lazy to check - does the XRGB2 use the Japanese SCART pinout? If so, you'd need a European->Japanese SCART adapter, or else rewire your existing SCART leads.

LouisCypher

I would like to be able to play on my monitor otherwise I would be quite happy just plugging in to a TV.