Mitsubishi MegaView Pro 37

Started by Arasoi, February 15, 2010, 09:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arasoi

I've been looking at getting one of these to replace my NEC XM29 for classic console/computer gaming.

I was wondering if anybody had one of these (or one of the similar Mitsubishi presentation monitors) and could tell me how the quality is compared to say.. NEC XM series, or Sony PVM series.

Thanks in advance,

-RCM

RGB32E

Quote from: Arasoi on February 15, 2010, 09:52:34 AM
I've been looking at getting one of these to replace my NEC XM29 for classic console/computer gaming.

I was wondering if anybody had one of these (or one of the similar Mitsubishi presentation monitors) and could tell me how the quality is compared to say.. NEC XM series, or Sony PVM series.

Thanks in advance,

-RCM

Sony PVMs are standard def only.  NEC XMs will allow and display a VGA, SVGA, or XGA signal!  As far as picture goes, Sony uses aperture grille CRTs (e.g. Trinitron) while the NEC XMs use shadow mask CRTs.  So, the pixel structure is inherently different between the two.  With aperture grille CRTs, you get cleaner scanlines, as the red, green and blue phosphors are all on the same row, unlike the triangle pattern of shadow mask:

I personally prefer aperture grille CRTs (e.g. Sony Trinitron and Mitsubishi Diamondtron NF) over shadow mask.  So, if you don't need VGA or above functionality, I'd personally go with a Sony PVM.  Though, if you find a XM in great condition for a good price, you can't go wrong with a NEC either...  :-\

Arasoi

Good to know.

I'm not dissatisfied with the XM29 per se (besides a few bitchy syncing issues, but my Extron VSS 100 resolves those). I was basically just looking for a bigger screen for 15khz RGB signals without having to go scaler, as I'm running SNES/SMS/Genesis/Turbo Duo/MSX2+/Neo Geo/arcade pcb and soon Famicom/NES in that format.

In terms of internal components and wear and tear, how well do the three brands match up? If I get a 20 inch PVM I think it will be for tate purposes.

OT: My system modder sent you a PM about your improved NES RGB amp, if you happen to have a diagram for that he could use it would be much appreciated as well as it's going on my Sharp Twin AN505RD :)

RGB32E

Quote from: Arasoi on February 16, 2010, 09:41:02 AM
Good to know.

I'm not dissatisfied with the XM29 per se (besides a few bitchy syncing issues, but my Extron VSS 100 resolves those). I was basically just looking for a bigger screen for 15khz RGB signals without having to go scaler, as I'm running SNES/SMS/Genesis/Turbo Duo/MSX2+/Neo Geo/arcade pcb and soon Famicom/NES in that format.

In terms of internal components and wear and tear, how well do the three brands match up? If I get a 20 inch PVM I think it will be for tate purposes.

OT: My system modder sent you a PM about your improved NES RGB amp, if you happen to have a diagram for that he could use it would be much appreciated as well as it's going on my Sharp Twin AN505RD :)

Hmm... I'm satisfied with using a XRGB-3 on my 55" flat panel... it gives me a 45" 4:3 image!  Also, do you want to deal with a 300lbs gorilla?  :o

I haven't seen any data for how any of these hold up.  For me, it's just a matter of purchasing a monitor with the least amount of wear, period.   :-\

I purchased my PVM-2030 nearly brand new over a decade ago.  I used it heavily for a couple of years, not so much in between.  Seems to look pretty much the same as the day I got it.  :-\  However, a friend purchased a used PVM-2530 several years back from a pro AV rental business and it had a decent amount of wear on it, so the picture wasn't as sharp or focused as my 2030 (despite the screen size/pixel pitch difference).

If you get a 20" PVM, get the PVM-2030.  The other 20" PVMs are not tate friendly - intended for rack mount, ect...

Arasoi

The PVM-2030 does seem to be the best choice to permanently tate. I'll wait for the right condition one to pop up and acquire one.

Thanks for your assistance.

safart2

Hi! Does someone have the owner manual for the mitsubishi megaview pro 37 xc3730c

Thank you sincerely

Simon