PS2 Progressive Scan?

Started by RARusk, March 26, 2004, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RARusk

The new PlayStation2 50001 unit is supposed to do Progressive Scan for DVD movies but can it do Progressive Scan for most, if not all games? In addition, is it possible to get the DVD drivers from that unit and transfer it to earlier models? Just wondering.....
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

wing

The PS2 has always been capable of running progressive scan compatible games before 5000x added progressive support for movies. The issue lies with the software, not the hardware.

Endymion

Whether or not a PS2 game supports progressive scan is the developer's choice. Many of the more popular games in the last couple of years do support it, but there are a lot that don't also. There doesn't appear to be a way to magically enable a progressive mode for any given game that wasn't coded for it, or else I'd expect to see mod chips or boot discs for this purpose already.

As for the DVD movie progressive issue, it is probably a firmware thing. How determined you are to replace that firmware may reveal how difficult it is, or if it's even worth desoldering one console's chip with the firmware resident. (I'd say it isn't, but then I know you like to hack. ;) ) Also, if you have an older PS2, it will still display the games progressively, assuming the game in question was coded to do it, the 5000x model only added a progressive movie player.

RARusk

I thought as much but I wanted to be sure before I got too excited. Thanks for the info guys.

BTW, "Soul Calibur II " looks freaking nice on a VGA monitor. My MultiSync 3D is sync-on-green compatible so I built a Component Video cable adaptor (3 RCA jacks to DB15 plug) so I can hook up the monitor. I followed the instructions in the game manual and voila! "Soul Calibur II" in VGA. I kind got spoiled playing "Soul Calibur" in VGA on the Dreamcast which is why I built the adapter, so I could do the same for it's sequel.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....