SNES RGB

Started by patroclus02, June 26, 2004, 08:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patroclus02

How can I build a suitable RGB cable for SNES?? My problem is how to attach an apropiate conector to the multiAV output... it seems not easy.

Martin

Just rip one off of the crappy cable that came with the system.. ad some extra pins.. solder in the right places :D
Nice chance of it working.... as long as you dont melt the plastic  :unsure:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

patroclus02

The problem is that I have not the cable...

Kouske

Buy a spider rgb cable from Lik-sang.
Once done, post it and i can help you make one from scratch.
Davidleeroth from the boards helped me and it works. :D  

patroclus02

Shipping cost are going to be so high. I don't think it's good idea..

Vertigo

Just buy any old cable that fits it, like he said. Gamecube has the same shaped connector, and you can get a/v cables for the SNES for about $2 on eBay.

patroclus02

So, a gemecube connector will do the job?? If so, I can get one of those.
I suppose it needs modifications to make it RGB though. The main problem seems to know which cable is which once you cut the "main cable".

Darklegion

You could just install your own port on the back and wire it up with the correct pinout.You can use any connector this way,so shipping costs shouldn't be an issue...you could even just run the wires through the back without any sort of connector.

patroclus02

DarkLegion, that's what I initialy wanted to do, but was unsure, also about where to solder, in the PCB? in the back of the multiAV conector? in the conector itself (this looks pretty hard), etc..

Darklegion

I don't own a snes nor have ever opened one.I'm sure someone else will chip in and give you the best advice but in most cases you solder onto the underside of the board.Usually the connector is covered in casing on the top so you can't solder onto it,although in some cases the pins are sticking out enough to get onto them....don't solder inside the conenctor though,that is just asking for trouble :)
I ripped off the connectors on one of my dreamcasts by accident a long while back and soldered a rgb port onto it......this ended up being much cleaner since its easy to wire things on through the top plus the space for my own connector.....you could do this on purpose with your snes if you want to,I have heard people doing it with the neo-geo since there is apparently sweet f*ck all room to add your own.But I guess there is a chance of stuffing things by ripping them off,use desoldering braid if you want to us this method.Otherwise just hit the underside and tape the wiring down with double-sided tape,this is what I usually do.

Anderson21

Yes Darklegion is correct.
In my experience you have to hardwire a RGB cable to the underside of the board. Not all the connections needed are available at the av out port.

patroclus02

That is going to give quite lot of work :)
Today I just modded a PS1 and added colour mod for NTSC, and tomorrow I want to mod a MegaDrive, so I might start with this someday soon :D

It seems great solution anyway, I might try.
thanks

patroclus02

One more question I forgot.
I just need to make a connector along with R,G,B, both audio and sync signals and that's it? or do I need to do something else? anyone has done it??

Thanks

patroclus02

I opened my SNES again, but it is 50/60Hz modded, and it seems quite difficult to take the mainboard out now... :/ (because of wires and stuff).
Any advices?

Can't I just buy a NGC RGB cable??

Martin

QuoteI opened my SNES again, but it is 50/60Hz modded, and it seems quite difficult to take the mainboard out now... :/ (because of wires and stuff).
Any advices?

Can't I just buy a NGC RGB cable??
Youd have to rewire it,
Gamecube RGB ports have different pin outs. Well In the UK they do (and Ive read that it applies to Us and Japan as well)
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

NFG

The pinouts on the Euro GC are not different, but the signal IS.  I'm clear which is which, but the GC cable and SNES cable, in europe at least, differ only in whether there's capacitors required or not.

The US/JP GCs do NOT output RGB at all, end of story.  The digital port offers digital video that can be converted to RGB with the special Nintendo cable (with a custom DAC inside).

patroclus02

So... keeping in mind what I said, waht way would you choose??

Darklegion

Well how dificult would it be to just desolder the wires off the switch and then wire it up again when you are done? If you have the ability to wire up a rgb port you have the ability to resolder a couple of wires.

Yod@

QuoteI'm clear which is which, but the GC cable and SNES cable, in europe at least, differ only in whether there's capacitors required or not.
It's the PAL SNES which doesn't like capacitors for some reason.

patroclus: If I were you, I'd just buy a Gamecube RGB SCART lead and modify it accordingly (remove the capacitors on the R,G and B pins of the SCART plug if you're using a PAL SNES), or else leave it as it is if you're using an NTSC SNES.

patroclus02

Pinouts are the same? SOmebody here said there're not.
Where are the capcitors? inside the scart connector??

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/snesav.htm
Here are the pinouts, but I'm confused with the note about pin3 un PAL consoles. Do we need to get the sync line from any other pin??  

patroclus02