RGB Amiga 500

Started by Martin, May 06, 2004, 07:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

:huh: well I was wandering if any of you could give me the pin-out for the RGB socket on the bag of the amiga 500? thanks  :D  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

NFG

Wow, you're the new king of lazy.  Or would be if you didn't spend more time asking us than it would take to google for "Amiga 500 RGB pinout".  Which, BTW, gave me the answer you seek on the first try.

Martin

Oh yeah.. I have an Amiga RBG to PAL Composite converter box. Could I use this on a jamma pcb to play it on a tv? :huh:  

NFG

Please feel free to edit your earlier posts rather than making several consecutive ones.

The A310 (I think?  Something like that...) convertor you speak of WOULD work except that it relies on a clock input on the Amiga port to create a signal.  If you can hack your own clock signal into it you should be good to go, and in fact this was the first encoder I tried to hack together way back when.  It didn't work and I was so disgusted I never tried to work out why.

Martin

QuotePlease feel free to edit your earlier posts rather than making several consecutive ones.

The A310 (I think?  Something like that...) convertor you speak of WOULD work except that it relies on a clock input on the Amiga port to create a signal.  If you can hack your own clock signal into it you should be good to go, and in fact this was the first encoder I tried to hack together way back when.  It didn't work and I was so disgusted I never tried to work out why.
lol. okay will do.  :P
PS. My converter is called the video a600 or something :huh:  

Computolio

Wait, the A520 (that's what it's called) needs a clock input? That really goddamn sucks, especially since I was planning to use mine as part of a homemade Supergun adapter.

As for the Amiga's RGB port pinouts, check the back of the manual. The manuals for most Amigas not only feature pinouts of every port but also schematics.

Guest_Martin

QuoteWait, the A520 (that's what it's called) needs a clock input? That really goddamn sucks, especially since I was planning to use mine as part of a homemade Supergun adapter.

As for the Amiga's RGB port pinouts, check the back of the manual. The manuals for most Amigas not only feature pinouts of every port but also schematics.
Wouldn't it be possible to create your own clock out with the right chips on a separate circuit? Or even just a few coils and a variable resistor lol ;)  

Computolio

QuoteWouldn't it be possible to create your own clock out with the right chips on a separate circuit? Or even just a few coils and a variable resistor lol ;)

It might be possible, but if it was easy to figure out, someone like Lawrence would've done it by now.

It could be worth looking into one of the third-party A520 clones to see if they need a clock input(since most of them used a very different design), but they're kind of hard to find.

On a related note, most of the Amiga flicker-fixers don't look like they can be easily modified to upscan regular RGB into VGA, either.

Guest_Martin

So.. My TV is RGB compatible, Would it be possible to use just an ordinary RGb lead to connect up a Arcade PCB to my TV?

Vertigo

QuoteSo.. My TV is RGB compatible, Would it be possible to use just an ordinary RGb lead to connect up a Arcade PCB to my TV?
Ehhhhhh... you know what a Super Gun is, right?
Or is this International Silly Questions Day?

Guest_Martin

QuoteSo.. My TV is RGB compatible, Would it be possible to use just an ordinary RGb lead to connect up a Arcade PCB to my TV?
Ehhhhhh... you know what a Super Gun is, right?
Or is this International Silly Questions Day?
Yeah Super guns let you play arcade boards on your tv....
But I have no money :( so I wanna make my own Supergun

Darklegion

you won't need a supergun as they convert down to composite/svideo i believe.As you said a normal rgb lead will do ,but you'll have to build it yourself of course ;)
Just wire the csync to the the composite pin and the r,g,b pins to their respective pins...along with their grounds.Also you'll need to apply some voltage on the  fast blanking pin to get it to switch to rgb mode,this is around 1.5 volts but you'd better check on that.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteAlso you'll need to apply some voltage on the  fast blanking pin to get it to switch to rgb mode,this is around 1.5 volts but you'd better check on that.
I use +5 volts dc through a resistor, the only thing is I can't remember if it was a 100ohm or a 100Kohm one.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Quoteyou won't need a supergun as they convert down to composite/svideo i believe.As you said a normal rgb lead will do ,but you'll have to build it yourself of course ;)
Just wire the csync to the the composite pin and the r,g,b pins to their respective pins...along with their grounds.Also you'll need to apply some voltage on the  fast blanking pin to get it to switch to rgb mode,this is around 1.5 volts but you'd better check on that.
A years days ago I came across a scart thatr was wired up for composite and RGB, if you plug it into a TV with no RGB compatibility it uses composite mode, but if you use an RGB tV then it switches, cool eh?

anyway..
I opened up a few of my RGB scart leads to see which pins had resistors attached to them.
but they were all different :S
On a European SCART, which pin number is the fast blanking pin?

Thats pretty simple to get both outputs most just use composite video as sync so it'll work both ways.Pin 16 is the fast blanking pin,best way to wire it up is to just link it to composite video as it outputs 1v,which should be enough to get it to switch which will save you a wire and you won't need to run a resistor through it.Those other resistors are probably there to bring the brightness down a bit or perhaps amplify it(if they are pull-up resistors)
Oh and BTW some tvs have issues without the pin 8 (av switching mode) run 12v into that if you have problems.Might even work with 5vdc as well which is within the widescreen switching range(I think) but that obviously won't matter if you don't have a widescreen tv.