Ceramic vs. electrolytic capacitors

Started by ninn, October 20, 2012, 10:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninn

Hi fellows!

Some month ago, I read this page, it basicly deals with a Jamma Saturn, but should work for all consoles. The part that has riddled me most was this sentence, let me quote:
[ You need ]
2x 0.1uf Capacitors
[...]
These are small 'ceramic' capacitors, basically a flat circle of (usually) orange stuff with two wires sticking out of them.
The capacitor will probably be marked 104Z.
When getting these, make sure you DONT get electrolytic capacitors.
These are small barrel like capacitors (usually blue) and will do us no good at all.

I am used to those blue electrolytic capacitors. I always used them for rgb cables.

Why are they not recommended? Whats the difference in that case? What do you use, and why? Do you got examples?
Can you please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,
ninn  :)

kendrick

If I remember my schoolboy electronics, ceramic capacitors can operate at much higher voltages but have a much lower maximum capacity when measured in microfarads. By comparison, electrolytic capacitors tend to operate only up to 50 volts, but potentially could hold as much as a full farad if built large enough. But the other difference is with tolerances, in that ceramic capacitors will give you a capacity much closer to their stated value than an electrolytic one will.

Think of measuring medication in terms of a graded dropper versus a giant measuring cup. Sure, you could create a cup that measured milliliters. But it'd be more reasonable to use the dropper instead, even though it can't hold quite as much. For the application you're quoting, I'm betting that accurate values are more important.