How do I make the RGB ouput on my SNES useful?

Started by Josh, January 12, 2008, 08:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

I have an SNES, and I'm looking to get a Super Famicom, along with an official Nintendo Japanese RGB cable for the system.  I believe this cable has the Japanese-style 21-pin connector, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, I live in the US and don't have any TVs or monitors that could accept this signal, so I have two options:

1)  Get a TV or monitor that could accept this signal, but I don't know what exists and where to start.

2)  Somehow convert the RGB signal to something I can use on my American TVs or monitors, if I can do this without losing any quality in the video or sound.

So, how would I go about either option?  I guess this is a really general question, but I'm a total newbie here.
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit. ~ Vyse

phreak97

well, you cant convert awawy from rgb without losing any quality, or else nobody would bother with rgb at all.. but you can use any standard snes av cable with the super famicom. otherwise you can get an rgb to component adaptor, but theyre usually expensive.

eastbayarb

Quote from: phreak97 on January 12, 2008, 12:19:09 PM
well, you cant convert awawy from rgb without losing any quality, or else nobody would bother with rgb at all.. but you can use any standard snes av cable with the super famicom. otherwise you can get an rgb to component adaptor, but theyre usually expensive.

phreak,

are you saying that you can hack a standard SNES AV cable (even if it is composite) to an RGB cable? Explain how if so....

kendrick

A first party SNES/N64 video cable is held together with four clips and is easily opened with a couple of small flathead screwdrivers. When you open one up, this is what you'll find:

Ah, my picture's crappy. Point is, the contact pins for each signal can be easily removed and repositioned once you're inside the connector. You'll obviously have to sacrifice multiple cables in order to get all three RGB lines, both audio lines and anything else you want to tap out of the connector. Please refer to the usual GamesX link for the Nintendo video port pinout.

Josh

Quote from: phreak97 on January 12, 2008, 12:19:09 PM
otherwise you can get an rgb to component adaptor, but theyre usually expensive.

I guess that would be my best option, since I don't want to do any hacks or mods.  Could I still get audio with this solution?

And even if I lose some video quality, RGB -> component is still better than S-Video, right?

And...Are there any other solutions?
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit. ~ Vyse

NFG

Kendrick: That's exactly how I built my first SNES RGB cable.  I still have it, in fact.  =)

Josh: In my experience component video is no better than Svideo.  The concept behind both is very similar.  Unless you've got a compelling reason to go component, I'd suggest it's a waste of time. 

eastbayarb

Quote from: Lawrence on January 20, 2007, 08:46:33 AM
Kendrick: That's exactly how I built my first SNES RGB cable.  I still have it, in fact.  =)

Josh: In my experience component video is no better than Svideo.  The concept behind both is very similar.  Unless you've got a compelling reason to go component, I'd suggest it's a waste of time. 

I have a few SNES/N64/GC multi AV cables lying around so I am gonna try modding it for RGB. Speaking of GC (Gamecube), getting RGB is done through multi AV or through the Digital Video port? I happen to have a Digital Video cable (component video). If it needs to be done via the Digital Video port, how do I make a cable for RGB in this manner?

I wanna connect it to my Mitsubishi Megaview 33" multisync monitor via VGA (anyone know the pinouts for getting RGB via VGA connector ?) . I have my other consoles connected this way

eastbayarb

Quote from: Lawrence on January 20, 2007, 08:46:33 AM

how did you remove the contact pins? I am trying but no luck

kendrick

They should pull right out. On some later Nintendo cables you might have to press in on the pin perpendicularly with a small screwdriver in order to get it to release. Don't use your hands, but a set of needle nose pliers. The kind with no textured grip (often used for jewelry work) is ideal.

NFG

From memory, and forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been about a decade since I messed with it last...

They slot into the plastic housing and have a little metal clip on one side to keep from coming out again.  Slip a tiny screwdriver in there and bend the pin back so they slide right out.

VGA pinout is here.

Remember that unless your monitor supports 15kHz you're wasting time - the MD and SNES do not output VGA-compatible signals (VGA is 31kHz).

eastbayarb

Quote from: Lawrence on January 30, 2008, 10:12:11 AM
From memory, and forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been about a decade since I messed with it last...

They slot into the plastic housing and have a little metal clip on one side to keep from coming out again.  Slip a tiny screwdriver in there and bend the pin back so they slide right out.

VGA pinout is here.

Remember that unless your monitor supports 15kHz you're wasting time - the MD and SNES do not output VGA-compatible signals (VGA is 31kHz).

Like i stated before, I am using other systems on a Mitsubish Megaview 33" monitor, which supports 15khz and 31khz. I am using this monitor with SNES, Genesis/32x, N64, Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Neo Geo, TG-16, PSX/PS2, and Sega Master system.

Reason I want to create a cable with a VGA connector is because my monitor has VGA in. My old monitor (Sony PVM-2530, which I will be selling soon) and cable utilized a db9 to db15 adaptor and I want to have a separate cable for every system rather than using the same cable for all systems.

NFG

So long as you're aware.  I gotta give the disclaimer whenever anyone says VGA 'cause, let's face it, people are dumb.  =P

You have all the info you need now, yes?

Josh

Alright, so back to this thread...I don't want to do any modding, but I want RGB.

Are there any simple adapters I can buy that will let me take the Japanese 21-pin signal and change it to something I can use with a more standard/modern connector?

Or...Are there any modern Japanese monitors or displays that still have the 21-pin connector on them that I could buy?

NFG

If you consider modding to be opening up your console and mucking with its innards, then no modding is required for any SNES unit.  Perfectly acceptable RGB is available from the start.  If you think modding means making your own adaptor cable, you're screwed without a J-RGB monitor (very expensive) or paying someone to make you a cable for whatever monitor you already have.

There's no off-the-shelf adaptor simply because there has never been a standard for 15kHz RGB connectors.  Not counting the 21-pin variants just about every monitor had their own connector and pinout.

duo_r

Lawrence - have you ever thought of using DB15 because of the ability to carry 10 lines (like for Saturn) instead of being limited to 9? I guess the only thing you would leave out is composite video, and maybe that would be a waste? I know you are now using the 10 mini-din, but would DB15 be a good alternative?

NFG

Quote from: duo_r on September 09, 2008, 07:59:17 AM
Lawrence - have you ever thought of using DB15 because of the ability to carry 10 lines (like for Saturn) instead of being limited to 9? I guess the only thing you would leave out is composite video, and maybe that would be a waste? I know you are now using the 10 mini-din, but would DB15 be a good alternative?
There's no reason to stick to any particular connector if you have a need for more pins or different features.  I used the DB9 'cause it was easy to find, easy to work with and had enough pins for my purposes.  Sure, a DB15 would also work, but so would a DIN13 or a DB25 or SCART or anything else.