Tool for handling Human68k FAT images.

Started by vampirefrog, July 07, 2014, 09:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampirefrog

So far it only lists and extracts files from DIM and XDF files, but in the future (and if anyone requests it) I'll add support for disk images and also writing (adding files, deleting etc), and make it into a full featured command line tool. I don't plan on making a GUI though, but I'll think about it if it is requested.

https://github.com/vampirefrog/fathuman

eidis

Hi Vampirefrog !

Congratulations on a job well done ! Would it be possible to make a plugin for ye windoze platform file commanders such as FAR manager or Total Commander as well ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

vampirefrog

That's a good idea. I was also thinking of writing an Explorer extension, but it's probably more difficult.

Here's my TODO list so far, in no particular order:

- Add support for all the floppy formats supported by XM6 (2DD, 2HD, 2HQ, D68, D88, DIM, DUP, HDM, IMG, XDF). Most of these are raw images, but D68, D88 and DIM have special headers which can be queried for info.
- Add support for SASI, SxSI, SCSI and MO images (HDF, HDS and MOS)
- Add write support  (add files, overwrite files and delete files)
- Far Manager plugin
- Total Commander plugin
- Maybe a windows Explorer plugin, similar to the LHA and ZIP support, but it's not that important right now.
- A GUI, similar to editdisk, with support for all of the above image types and possibly create new images.

eidis

Hi Vampirefrog !

This sounds like the holy grail of handling disk images. Best of luck and keep up the good work !

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

AnnaWu

Maybe it make more sense to add new plug-in(s) for the powerful DiskExplorer instead to make a similar one from the scratch?

vampirefrog

Quote from: AnnaWu on July 07, 2014, 11:11:52 PM
Maybe it make more sense to add new plug-in(s) for the powerful DiskExplorer instead to make a similar one from the scratch?

That looks complicated, is for money, and doesn't seem to do what we need.

AnnaWu

Example: white cat made a additional plug-in for the DiskExplorer to edit MEGA-SCSI and Sunrise IDE hard disk images for MSX.
Of course you can import, export, rename, delete, ... files.
tinyurl.com/puywyz7
tinyurl.com/qj28qv2

Opethian

damn I wish this was around when I was patching games for my 030
nice work here vamp!

vampirefrog

Quote from: AnnaWu on July 07, 2014, 11:33:33 PM
Example: white cat made a additional plug-in for the DiskExplorer to edit MEGA-SCSI and Sunrise IDE hard disk images for MSX.
tinyurl.com/puywyz7
tinyurl.com/qj28qv2

Sorry, I thought you meant this DiskExplorer!

Then I figured it out. I was already using it, though I call it editdisk, after the executable.

Anyway, where can I find docs about writing plugins for it? It looks like a good idea!
EDIT: Found the docs on the editdisk japanese page, looking into it, cheers!

caius

Quote from: AnnaWu on July 07, 2014, 11:33:33 PM
tinyurl.com/puywyz7
tinyurl.com/qj28qv2

And Kasanova (the creator of UNZ emulator) made the plug-in to handle FM-TOWNS HDD images.

AnnaWu

QuoteAn Kasanova (the creator of UNZ emulator) made the plug-in to handle FM-TOWNS HDD images.

Yes, this is known but to support other floppy disk image formats beside EX68 as example will be not bad.

eidis

Hi Vampirefrog !

Would it be possible for you to write a simple program which allows writing XDF and DIM images to physical media and vice versa ? Kind of like xFloppy but compatible with new operating systems ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Opethian

compatible with USB drives in particular. Im contemplating getting a kryoflux soon.

vampirefrog

Duh, in the meantime I've found that you can just configure editdisk to read XDF and DIM images, here is how:

for XDF files, just select 'plain image' and it will open it properly.

For DIM files, just append this to types.ini:

[Human68k DIM Floppy image]
Extension = ".DIM"
ProfileType = 1
HDDType = 2
DiskStart = 256
Sectors = 0
Heads = 0
Cylinders = 0
SecLen = 1024

vampirefrog

Quote from: eidis on July 08, 2014, 05:44:03 AM
Hi Vampirefrog !

Would it be possible for you to write a simple program which allows writing XDF and DIM images to physical media and vice versa ? Kind of like xFloppy but compatible with new operating systems ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Quote from: Opethian on July 08, 2014, 05:49:05 AM
compatible with USB drives in particular. Im contemplating getting a kryoflux soon.

I really wouldn't know where to begin, since I don't own such devices. Also, I'm sure it's possible to write the image file to the floppy once you have it, even with kryoflux.

AnnaWu

Quote from: vampirefrog on July 08, 2014, 06:10:41 AM
Duh, in the meantime I've found that you can just configure editdisk to read XDF and DIM images, here is how:

For DIM files, just append this to types.ini:

[Human68k DIM Floppy image]
Extension = ".DIM"
ProfileType = 1
HDDType = 2
DiskStart = 256
Sectors = 0
Heads = 0
Cylinders = 0
SecLen = 1024

Simple but effective, thanks!

H68k

Vampirefrog

Would you consider "fleshing out" or in other words, adding some more of the proposed features to your disk utility program before you decide to call it a day on it?

It would be grate to have a program that could handle certain disk images. without a chance of corruption occering like with editdisk (the author of edit disk said he was aware of the problem and that the next version due for release was going to try and fix this issue.. but sadly.. it never saw the light of day).

vampirefrog

Sure, please list your top 3 wishes for the project.

grate -> great
occering -> occurring

Has anyone obtained the editdisk source?  Can someone contact the author? I'd gladly take it over if he agrees to open source it.

vampirefrog

Just gathering info here about the file formats:

Floppy formats:
.2HD - 1232K, no header
.2DD - 720K, no header
.2HQ - 1440K, no header
.D68 - Contains a 704 byte header, can be of multiple sizes
.D88 - Seems the same as .D68
.DIM - Contains a 256 byte header
.DUP - 1232K, no header
.HDM - 1232K, no header
.IMG - 1232K, no header
.XDF - 1232K, no header

Disk formats:
.HDF - SASI image
.HDS - SCSI image
.MOS - SCSI MO drive image

vampirefrog

.DIM Floppy image format

Consists of a 256-byte header, followed by the floppy image.

- Contains the 13-byte string DIFC HEADER  (two trailing spaces) at offset 0xAB (171).
- Contains a disk name at offset 0xc2 (60 bytes max, including zero-terminator) (need to check this)
- Contains 8 bytes of IOCS data at offset 0xba
- Contains a byte describing the disk type at offset 0x00:
#FormatBytes per sectorSectors
02HD/2HDA10248
12HS10249
22HC51215
32HDE10249
92HQ51218
17N88-BASIC25626

I obtained this info by looking at XM6 source code.

The floppy formats are also described here http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/X68k:FD_Format

Opethian

nice! Im just gonna strip all these .dim files and make then .xdf
thanks vamp!

vampirefrog

Quote from: Opethian on July 12, 2014, 12:52:14 AM
nice! Im just gonna strip all these .dim files and make then .xdf
thanks vamp!

What's the point of that?

98pacecar

Omniflop wants files in XDF format to be able to write them. It doesn't seem to support DIM files natively.

vampirefrog

eidis

Hi Vampirefrog !

Any news ?

Keep the scene alive!
Eidis