News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

NGPC light mod

Started by Schweino, May 09, 2005, 09:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schweino

I wondered if anyone ever tried to add light to the NGPC screen, kind of like the GBA afterburner. Did anyone succeed?

atom

Whats a NGPC screen? You light almost anything.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

kendrick

Schweino refers of course to the Neo Geo Pocket Color, SNK's answer to the handheld gaming market. Definitive portable versions of their best fighting games, a surprisingly good selection of Sega and Namco titles, and some RPG titles never repeated on any other console. There were three hardware revisions, an initial black-and-white version to test the waters, and then two iterations of the color version. The second one is slimmer and had slightly better power utilization.

The NGPC is a little bit more reflective than the original Gameboy Advance screen, and so collects and reflects more light in more circumstances. There's no reason why a body couldn't add some white LED's and a reflector tube for side or front-lighting, but there's not a whole lot of room inside the unit. I would explore an external light source mounted on the outside of the thing before I would try to add a light inside. That's just me being paranoid and safety minded, of course.

-KKC, the self-proclaimed king of portable gaming who owns no PSP or DS. Nothing I want to play on either of those yet...

phreak97

if it were me, i'd be smart and try put a gba afterburner in it:P

atom

I dont think that would fit, it would require modificiation and, yeah might as well do fabrication.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

what needs to fit? isnt it just leds more or less?

D-Lite

This has been done before.  

You can get it done at www.mashmods.com
He installs an Afterburner in it.  No, it doesn't fit perfectly since the NGPC is taller, but it's not a big difference.
Pic:

Schweino

Great! Thanks for the info

Aidan

Quotewhat needs to fit? isnt it just leds more or less?
Not exactly, no. There are a couple of LEDs, however there's also a diffuser that is a key compoment. That diffuser spreads the light from the LEDs evenly across the screen, so that you don't have bright patches near the LEDs and dark patches far away.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

camuX

i have a b&w ngp.  let me know how this goes, if you try it, i'm definately interested!

phreak97

how big a differece is there in the screen size between ngp and gba? couldnt you mod the diffuser at all? make it fit?

D-Lite

Quotehow big a differece is there in the screen size between ngp and gba? couldnt you mod the diffuser at all? make it fit?
How would you make a piece of plastic that needs to be completely clear wider?

Lost Monkey

Quotehow big a differece is there in the screen size between ngp and gba? couldnt you mod the diffuser at all? make it fit?
How would you make a piece of plastic that needs to be completely clear wider?
Melt it and stretch it?  :P

(not bloody likely... )   :lol: