News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

game bits

Started by kansasninja, October 30, 2004, 05:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansasninja

Is  there anywhere to get a actual screwdriver with the security end  or is there only bits out there

Chuplayer

QuoteIs  there anywhere to get a actual screwdriver with the security end  or is there only bits out there
I know Lawrence had a page about selling them somewhere on GameSX, but I don't know if he's still doing that.

I'd love to have screwdrivers as opposed to bits. Sometimes specialty screws are so far down in holes that the bits can fit in, but the screwdriver part can't. Like GCN controllers. I've got tri-wing bits, but I can't open those controllers up because I can't get my screwdriver in there. Argh.

hellbelly

Here's a UK based shop selling complete screwdrivers.  I've only used this shop once but was no problem at all.

http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/snes/snes.htm

Pete

atom

How come you dont want a bit?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Endymion

I've never had a problem using a changable screwdriver working with a bit to open up a console. What console do you have that  has screws too deep for a bit?

Aidan

If you're trying to undo an external line head screw, then you *might* have some sucess with the end of a biro pen. Might sound crazy, but I have sucessfully used it in the past.

What to do: Remove the insides of a biro, so you just have the tube. Heat the end up *gently* over something hot, so that the plastic starts to melt. You don't want to set fire to it, so be careful! Once the plastic is molten, push the biro tube down ontop of the screw. The molten plastic should take the form of the screw, leaving you a rudimentary screwdriver. ;) Then you can carefully try to undo the screw - if you apply too much pressure you will break the biro, but I've sucessfully used this technique to open an N64 in the past.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Don

QuoteIf you're trying to undo an external line head screw, then you *might* have some sucess with the end of a biro pen. Might sound crazy, but I have sucessfully used it in the past.

What to do: Remove the insides of a biro, so you just have the tube. Heat the end up *gently* over something hot, so that the plastic starts to melt. You don't want to set fire to it, so be careful! Once the plastic is molten, push the biro tube down ontop of the screw. The molten plastic should take the form of the screw, leaving you a rudimentary screwdriver. ;) Then you can carefully try to undo the screw - if you apply too much pressure you will break the biro, but I've sucessfully used this technique to open an N64 in the past.
Nice one! I'll have to try that sometime. Too bad I didn't read your post sooner, before I got my $5 game bit off eBay for my N64.

atom

I have tried the bic pen method thousands of times and havent budged a single screw. I have also tried melting solder of the screw with a bitdriver attached with no luck. I finally broke down and bought the gamebit.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Aidan

You have to ensure that a significant portion of the end is molten. When I did it, I gently heated the end to ensure that a good 1/4 was visibly molten. At this point you need to work quickly, and press the thing down on top of the screw with considerable force. Once it's in place, you need to allow the plastic to cool down again. I typically left it for about 30 seconds or so.

I agree, buying a screwdriver or bit is better for long term use!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

awesome, my n64 isn't turning on so i was gonna open it up and take a look, and i didn't wanna buy a game piece, i'm glad i came across this site.

socialdrone

the nintendo virtualboy is allmost impossible to open with a gamebit, the holes are too deep and too narrow.  i ended up shaving the sides of the gamebit down then shaped the end to fit in a small socket i could use with a ratchet.  the socket also had to be slimmed down a bit to fit down the hole.

i read somewhere that if you cut the middle out of a screwdriver so you are left with a 2 prong fork looking thing, that it will work to unscrew a nintendo gamebit.  ive never tried it, but it sounds simple enough.

paul

www.mcmaster.com has every bit you could ever possibly want.  page 2644 is the first bit page.  2645 and 2646 probably have the right ones...

Shimarisu

I can't find the exact bits on that page tbh (male rather than female connectors) but if anybody wants the actual complete screwdrivers from Japan, I can supply the following at $19 each plus postage (will need to calculate postage depending on how many you buy).

SNES screwdriver (also for Gamecube, N64, PC Engine, TG-16, Core Grafx, original PC CD ROM interface, Nomad)
SNES cartridge screwdriver
Gameboy, GBA screwdriver
PC Engine Duo/Duo R/RX male hex security screwdriver (hole in centre for centre pin).

I convert consoles for a living and sell them converted, so no way I'd usually offer these, but if people have come to this forum I figure they will already want to do their own, and not buy them off me. So this offer is for this forum only - I do not have links to a website. I do, however have ebay refs and can accept cash in US $ or equivalent UK pound sterling or Euro via Paypal.

Mail me at adol_christinjp@yahoo.co.jp.