Sony PVM 2530 "IBM select"

Started by Rockin' Kat, July 22, 2009, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockin' Kat

Hi,

So having failed to get the Sony KV25-XBR set's RGB port working in two sepperate tries I decided to go ahead and get a Sony PVM 2530 that I know to be in good working order and not needing any initial repairs...

But now I have a new connector to deal with.  I'm a bit confused about the pin 1: "IBM Select" Do I need to do anything with it, or do I leave it unconnected?  Looking at the documentation it looks like I need to leave it open.

Other than that It just looks like I need to ground pin 2 so I can get stereo audio in through one of the Line inputs, and leave pin 9 open for Analog mode.

RGB32E

I've owned a PVM-2030 for about a decade now and it is essentially the same monitor as the 2530 except for size (of course).

You do not need to connect anything to pin 1 (IBM select).

This is all you'd need to connect to a DB25 female connector:
Pin     To
2     Ground
3     Composite SYNC/Composite Video/Y (of s-video)
4     Blue Video
5     Green Video
6     Red Video
15-24 Ground (all of those pins are the same ground, pick any which ones you like!)

RGB32E

Another note when using the PVM-xx30 monitors.  Unless professionally calibrated, the monitors have a high color temp (9300K and over 10,000K with New Dynamic Color switch set to on position).  The high color temp makes the white balance appear bluish... most other displays allow for lower color temps, this improves color reproduction, especially in lower lighting conditions...

Hence for any game cables that require resistors, I usually compensate by using different resistor values for red, green, and blue.  On the Genesis, the theory is to use a 75 ohm resistor in series on each of the RGB lines.  However, I receive a greatly improved picture by using 75 ohm for blue, 68 ohm for green, and 56 ohm for red.  The same goes for arcade boards.  See tables below for suggested values.  My rule of thumb is that the resistor value of green is about 90% of blue, and red is about 77% of blue).

Genesis 2

RedGreenBlue
56 ohm68 ohm75 ohm

Arcade (jamma harness)

RedGreenBlue
130 ohm150 ohm160 ohm