News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

JAMMA pins

Started by TuZhao, March 27, 2005, 02:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuZhao

Before I adventure in the world of Jamma, I'd like to know if there are any pins not used (so I can skip their connection). Also, the meaning of most of them is pretty straightforward, but what are these for:
Lock out coil (#1 & #2)
Tilt switch
Test switch
Coin counter (#1 & #2)
Service switch

Finally, how can I connect the mono output to a stereo 3.5 mm jack in order to hear the mono channel in both speakers?

Thank you :)
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

NFG

If you don't have a lock out coil, don't worry about these pins.

If you don't have a tilt switch, don't worry about this pin.  It's also called a slam switch, and is used to detect cabinet abuse, kicking and whatnot.  Most PCBs don't use it.

The Test Switch is for putting the PCB in test mode.  Some PCBs support it, some don't.  I recommend connecting this one.

If you don't have coin counters, don't worry about these pins.

Service is for racking up credits without advancing the coin counters or registering coins in the bookkeeping.  Some PCBs use it for other stuff - I recommend connecting it.

Connecting speakers is easy but you'll need two connectors, not three.  Connect the + and - to the + and - of each speaker.  JAMMA PCBs typically output + and - sound, not + and GND like headphones do.

TuZhao

Help appreciated! :)

Do I need to use momentary switches for these service/test pins, or on/off dipswitches?

I noticed that some ready-made superguns have trimmers for R, G and B video signal tuning. Are they mandatory?

Is the -5V line really necessary? Having googled for superguns info, I was shown various projects which considered the +5 and +12V only.
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

NFG

Momentary switches are what you need.  RGB trimmers are handy if your display or encoder chokes on the overbright video many RGBs output.  -5v is rarely necessary, I don't use it for most of my projects.