Blue Spark DDR Pad pinout

Started by Scared0o0Rabbit, January 04, 2009, 07:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scared0o0Rabbit

No idea if anyone else will ever have any use for this, but for the project of making a converter box for a metal ddr pad I have for use with the xbox360 I needed to figure out what the pinout for the pad itself to the control box was.  While I don't have all the pins, I do have the ones that matter.

1 = Unknown
2 = Unknown
3 = Unknown
4 = Unknown
5 = Ground
6 = Unknown
7 = Up
8 = Down
9 = Left
10 = Right
11 = Ground
12 = Ground
13 = Ground
14 = Circle
15 = X

I noticed that all of the buttons appear to have a voltage of 3VDC running through them (at least when plugged into the PS2). Because of that, I suspect the LEDs in the pad may be lit through the actual wiring of the button press, but I could be wrong. The unknown pins all appear to have either around 1.75VDC or no voltage running through them with no change when buttons are pressed. I would assume that I could wire up a controller or 360 pad to a female db15hd/de15 and that should work if I'm not particularly worried about the LEDs. Of course if they're lit by the voltage running through the triggers and not through a separate source, then they may very well light as well if the 360 controller/pad has the same voltage.

I think I may even go so far as to make a short converter cable to go between the blue spark pad and my db15hd so that it's converted to a more common (tx-1000 for instance) pinout. Do any of you see any issues with my logic? Also, any idea what those other pins would be? I would imagine they have to be something because they do have voltage, but I can't imagine what they'd be for besides LEDs, and LEDs aren't typically 1.75 volts...

Edit:

From reading Lawrence's post about modifying the 360 wireless controller and the whole not having a common ground thing, do all of the wired controllers have this issue or is it just that one model?  not that I've seen any wired controllers yet, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find a 360 dance pad any cheaper and I'd rather not chop up a wireless pad.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

NFG

QuoteFrom reading Lawrence's post about modifying the 360 wireless controller and the whole not having a common ground thing, do all of the wired controllers have this issue or is it just that one model?
I've opened two wired pads with the same result.  I haven't opened ALL of them, obviously.  =)

You'll have to open your pad to see if its useful for you or not.

Scared0o0Rabbit

Well obviously you haven't opened them all lol.  I'm not evne sure I could find a wired pad.  I haven't seen one in ages.  I think my best bet is going to be to maybe try and buy a package of one of the old ddr games for the 360 with an old pad, used on ebay or something.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Scared0o0Rabbit

So... these wired controllers you opened up, you didn't mention if they were 1st or 3rd party I don't think.  Which were they, or were they both?

Feeling Scared? ^_~