Cyber Core Music Popping/Crackling

Started by skpstmgs, April 06, 2015, 12:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skpstmgs

Howdy folks,
Has anyone encountered an issue with the intro music in Cyber Core? Right when it starts, I can hear crackling/popping in the music, and it only lasts a few seconds. It always seems specific to the same spot and always sounds the same. I've tried running the game off of a floppy, in 10MHz mode and it's always the same. I tried running it from several sources, like the installed version from the V4 image as well as from a .dim converted to an xdf and written to a floppy. I even tried disconnecting the X68000 from my sound setup and just listened through the built-in speakers and I can hear the same noise. I'm using an XVI with an XSIMM VI, an IO Data 4MB memory card, and a sharp Midi card. I haven't tried taking out the XSIMM just because taking off the side panel is near impossible, as is pulling out those expansion cards, so I'm saving that as a last resort. I even made a recording of the noise if anyone wants to listen - issue is mostly in the first 10 seconds, though you can hear it faintly a few times afterwards. Every other game from the many I've tried on the X68000 sounds fine, so I'm trying to figure out if its a hardware issue or possibly something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SuperDeadite

I have experienced this as well.  And I own an original copy.  Before I had an hdd setup, I never had this experience, it only started after I started using the HDD.  I have found that if I reset the SRAM and turn the system completely off for a few days it goes away.  So I'm guessing the game's sound driver doesn't like something that the HDD images load into the SRAM causing it to glitch.

skpstmgs

Good to know I'm not alone with this issue. Any idea what the waiting period is for? I tried resetting SRAM and waiting most of the day without letting it boot to the HD, but it's still doing the noise after booting with the floppy. Guess I'll wait a bit longer and see if that does anything. Thanks for the advice.