US Genesis 2 to 1084s-D1 video fades out quickly

Started by whoozwah, April 29, 2011, 04:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoozwah

I've read multiple threads on this and there are so many variables that could be causing the issue that I thought I would give all the specifics of my exact setup.

NTSC-U Genesis model 2 -->RGB scart-->scart female to db9 male-->Amiga 1084s-D1.

I checked the pinouts of the scart to db9 cable before I bought it and it looked like the same pinout as the db9 on the back of my monitor. When I connect it, I get a garbage picture. I can tell what some of it is but it's pretty scrambled. Where should I start with trying to remedy this? Thanks in advance to anyone who posts advice in this thread. :)

edit: here is a picture of what it's doing.

Thanks.

edit #2: I tried something. I took an ethernet cable, stripped it and ran all the corresponding wires directly from the female plug on the back of the genesis to the female plug on the back of the monitor. I twisted 2 wires together and put them both into pin 5 (composite sync) and then plugged them into pins 8 and 9 (hsync and vsync) on the monitor. It's a stable picture for about 1 second then the screen fades completely out and I'm left with a blank screen.

What to do?

edit #3: I tried running a single wire from pin 5 (comp sync) on the genesis to pin 7 (comp sync) on the 1084s instead. The result is the same. Nice stable picture for 1 second then it fades out to a blank screen. Any ideas?

Thanks.

bigsanta

from post #34 onwards .

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/91644-monitor-cable-for-1084s/page__st__25

From my post onwards
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3387.msg29736#msg29736

Either put a sync stripper into the multi scart selector (feed it the cvid ,then take  the Sync output from the 1881 goes to the cvideo output pin of the scart selector's scart plug(the one which plugs into the phillips scart to de9 socket)) or into the phillips scart to de9 scart socket casing(again,so the 1881 csync output goes to the hsync pin of the de 9) ,or do the mod to the monitor and that will be the end of your problems!

bigsanta

Quote from: whoozwah on April 29, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
I've read multiple threads on this and there are so many variables that could be causing the issue that I thought I would give all the specifics of my exact setup.

NTSC-U Genesis model 2 -->RGB scart-->scart female to db9 male-->Amiga 1084s-D1.

I checked the pinouts of the scart to db9 cable before I bought it and it looked like the same pinout as the db9 on the back of my monitor. When I connect it, I get a garbage picture. I can tell what some of it is but it's pretty scrambled. Where should I start with trying to remedy this? Thanks in advance to anyone who posts advice in this thread. :)

edit: here is a picture of what it's doing.

Thanks.

edit #2: I tried something. I took an ethernet cable, stripped it and ran all the corresponding wires directly from the female plug on the back of the genesis to the female plug on the back of the monitor. I twisted 2 wires together and put them both into pin 5 (composite sync) and then plugged them into pins 8 and 9 (hsync and vsync) on the monitor. It's a stable picture for about 1 second then the screen fades completely out and I'm left with a blank screen.

What to do?

edit #3: I tried running a single wire from pin 5 (comp sync) on the genesis to pin 7 (comp sync) on the 1084s instead. The result is the same. Nice stable picture for 1 second then it fades out to a blank screen. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just try the sync going to Hsync !

whoozwah

comp sync to hsync didn't work but comp sync to vsync does! It looks b-e-a-utiful. Now I need to actually make a cable for this. What I have now are just loose wires with the ends stripped off them running from point a to point b and I also need to resolve the issue with sound.

edit: The end of my scart cable breaks apart to get to the insides. I found a wiring guide for a genny scart cable and I made a pinout based on the colors of the corresponding wires. I bought a 9 pin mini din off ebay which should be here next week which I'll put on the end and use composite sync instead of composite video (which is how it's wired now) . Then I'll fix the wire inside of my adapter cable I bought to go to vsync instead of comp sync and I should be good to go since it has stereo out for sound which I can hook into the RCA jacks on the back of the monitor.

No piddling around inside the monitor, no sync strippers, nothing fancy it seems. I guess these monitors just aren't all alike when it comes to what makes them work and what they don't like.